Oil

What brand and grade of oil is reccomoned in 1924 6 cylinder Essex also distributor points gap thanks Ray cox

Comments

• Val
    Val Member
    Don't know if this helps but I have a 1939 six cylinder and I use Shell 15W40. Its a 212 CID splasher six The old engines need zinc and that has it. Not sure and points and gap for yours but a search on the web may yield results. Also if you haven't already done so please consider joining the HET Club. You will find lots of info and people willing to help and give sound advice.  Alex Burr has a web site devoted to hudson manuals also and that may help you. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Points gap is best at .017.   You don't need a high-zinc oil in your Essex, a good quality 10W-40 is fine. 
  • raycox
    raycox Member
    Thanks for your info 
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    I recall zink was to reduce wear on lifters and cam lobes.
    An Essex has roller lifters, much less pressure.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Zddp wasn’t even developed until the 1940’s.. more than a decade after this engine design was introduced into service.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    tigermoth said:
    Zddp wasn’t even developed until the 1940’s.. more than a decade after this engine design was introduced into service.
    Maybe that's why Zddp was added to oil, they might have been seeing abnormal engine wear after a decade.

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I always used Morris's Golden Film single grade oil (Britain's home-grown equivalent of Penrite and very well regarded over here) but it isn't cheap.
    So, as I have to chuck it away every 12 months, I have gone over to using an un-hyped plain SAE 30 for classic cars from my local parts store - 2/3 the price and, in all likelihood, no worse for my engine.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    David, I would recommend that you change to a Zinc additive oil.   The lifters and cams are very susceptible to wear in these motors. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    At the next oil change, Geoff.