Advice Needed Pulling Motor/Trans on 1951 Hornet

2»

Comments

• When I pulled the water pump, coolant came out of the bottom bolt hole. I think that's a good sign. But the water pump (like the crank pulley) was froze solid.

• Any chance I can take some of the brake shoe pressure off the drum by disconnecting anything from the back side? Wheel cylinder? E brake cable? I don't see a star adjuster on the back side. 
  • Awesome Ken! Great suggestions. There was so much grease and grime on the backing plate, I did not see the slot for the star wheel. I will degrease and use a wire brush and take another look tomorrow. TY. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Rumble, you remarked that you don't have a Hudson manual.  Are you aware that (assuming you're an H-E-T member) you have "privileges" at the H-E-T website, one of which is to download any of the literature there?  One of the items is a '51 Service Manual.  I think you can buy a paper copy from the Club Store if you prefer.
  • rumblefish351
    rumblefish351 Member
    edited August 2020
    I need that '51 Service Manual bad. Not sure about my membership privileges. When my uncle gave me the car, he got me the H-E-T membership. Maybe he transferred it into my name. I'll check it out, but the time is coming for that, esp when I rebuild the motor, do the brakes, wiring, etc. Thanks!
  • Took a closer look at what's in the trunk. Bingo, found 2 pairs of brake shoes and a McCord engine gasket set. Looks like the heater and the rear skirts are there too. Hope those brake shoes are for the rear.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I need that '51 Service Manual bad. Not sure about my membership privileges. When my uncle gave me the car, he got me the H-E-T membership. Maybe he transferred it into my name. I'll check it out, but the time is coming for that, esp when I rebuild the motor, do the brakes, wiring, etc. Thanks!
    You can visit my website at https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/index.html

select 1951 Hudson on right side of page, this will take you to the 1951 page where a 1951 mechanical procedure manual can be downloaded.  

We we all learned Hudson skills by doing.. some had mentors that kept them from major mistakes.  Keep focused and all the restoration tasks can be done.  Good luck 

Ken Cates - Waco Texas
  • Will do. TY
  • Just a suggestion - put the axle nut on backwards (castle toward the drum) and flush with the end of the axle.  The first time I used a puller (at 13 and with no instruction) I mushroomed the end of the axle.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Nice YouTube video demonstrating the use of a brake drum puller on a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrcm7MsQiXQ
  • rumblefish351
    rumblefish351 Member
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for the video. Still haven't received the hub puller yet. Thought it would arrive today. Maybe tomorrow. Any advice on disconnecting the exhaust pipe? The location of the exhaust flange bolts isn't the most convenient place.  Is it easier to remove the intake, then unbolt under the exhaust manifold and work my way down?
  • rumblefish351
    rumblefish351 Member
    edited August 2020
    Pulled the head off to take a look at the pistons and the valves. 5 of the 6 cylinders left black, sooty deposits on the bottom of the head, with the exception of one. It's kinda speckled gray and white. Not sure what that means.

• rumblefish351
    rumblefish351 Member
    edited August 2020
    No. All 6 piston tops had carbon caked on them (pretty thick, 1/16 inch). As I loosened the head bolts, the head started to move around. It wasn't sealed very well. I've got at least one spark plug port that has the threads stripped out. I think switching to the iron head is a good idea, if I can find one! TY