'52 Hornet tranny removal

Greetings gentlemen,
Can the tranny be removed w/o disrupting the motor? I have a major tranny oil leak and anticipate the worst.
Thank you.

Comments

• devin
    devin Member
    OK, I see on pg 78 of the Hudson Auto. Tranny Manual that it can be removed. Interesting that they don't specifically mention peeling back carpet, removing tunnel plates to access the upper 5/8 bolts. 
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    Easy to remove the trans by placing as high as possible with jack stands on all 4 corners and remove the transmission tunnel floor.  Transmission is very heavy but you can lower and slide out with a transmission jack.
  • devin
    devin Member
    Thanks for the encouragement, Ratlee2!
  • If it is the Hydromatic transmission, then the following applies. The transmission crossmember is bolted to the frame and you can drop the transmission straight down once you slide the crossmember out from under it (not possible with the manual transmission crossmember).

See picture of it in the link:
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Save yourself the hassle of removing the cross member etc etc.  .Remove the hood, radiator and grill and disconnect the whole engine and tranny. May sound like a lot more work but I have found it to be the easiest in the long run. 
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    DONT forget to unhook the speedo cable 
  • devin
    devin Member
    Thank you gentlemen!

• devin
    devin Member
    I might just have a guardian angel on my shoulder - maybe. I removed the two tin covers below the flywheel and torus. No trace of oil on the front of the flywheel. Drips appear to be emanating from around the tranny pan gasket. I intend to drop the pan and inspect/replace the gasket, however, the two front bolts securing the pan are difficult to access with the tranny mount in place. Any advice on a unique deep, thin wall 1/2 socket to use in this case??
    Thank you again.