6 Volt Wiring

Vrojas
Vrojas Member
I am beginning my journey on my 1950 Hudson Pacemaker rebuild. First things first, I need to redo the wiring, 6 volt battery, and starter to get it running. Anyone know where I can purchase a 6 volt wiring kit or should I just upgrade the battery, regulator and wiring? I would like to keep things as original as possible.

Comments

• Vrojas
    Vrojas Member
    Sorry I meant generator to alternator. Not regulator.
  • YnZ in Redlands, Ca. and Rhode Island Wiring make kits with cloth covered wire both are excellent, and expensive. The universal hot rod kit from EZ Wire is what I use( under $200.00), but the wire is not sized properly for 6 volt use.(I run 12 volt)
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I would not use a 12 volt harness on 6V as 6V runs higher amperage!!!!  I got mine from Rhode Island and it was first class and I have never had a problem.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited July 2020
    Or, if you're on a budget you can re-wire it yourself.  This consists of removing each of the different harnesses carefully from the car, and re-making them with new wiring. 

When removing the old harnesses, make sure that they haven't been modified or shortened; this will be your pattern for the new harness.  You want to be sure each wire is the correct length to connect the various components.  If it's been shortened by a previous owner (he installed an aftermarket light switch in a different dash location, for instance), then splice some wire to that circuit so it will reach the original location of the light switch.

Then you mount your old harness (which is your pattern for the new one) on a large piece of plywood, tacked to it so the harness is all stretched out and easy to deal with.

Now you purchase new wiring and terminals to match the gauge (and color, ideally) of each of the wires in the old harness.  You can just use modern plastic-covered wire, or buy some of the original style cloth-covered wire (which uses modern plastic-covered wire underneath), which will be expensive but authentic looking.

Then you join certain wires together (as in the old harness) so they travel together along the harness.  You can just use black tape to do this (cheap way) or buy the old-style wire loom material (black fabric) and thread the wires through it.

Then re-install the loom into your car, making sure to use rubber grommets where the loom passes through openings in the sheet metal.

You can make each separate harness one at a time, whenever you have the time and money, so the car is only out of commission for a few days each time you do a new harness.

In the meantime, always disconnect your battery when you're not running the car.  Old, frayed wiring can cause fires!
  • Vrojas
    Vrojas Member
    Thanks everyone. I do plan on doing the wiring myself so if I can find a kit that's perfect. Currently no battery so I should be good there. Everything else is original.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited July 2020
    Hello  I maintain a website specificity focused on assisting 1948-54 Hudson owners find parts, information and examples of what might return your car to operation.  Look under the ELECTRICAL section where you will find wiring harness vendors and other electrical component vendors who can assist with parts needed to repair your wiring.  

https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/index.html

This is a website is a resource focused on specific instructions for restoration of a cloth covered wiring harness.   https://streettechmag.com/2015/02/03/restoration-tech-rewiring-your-classic-car-with-cloth-covered-wire/

Ken Cates - Waco Texas 
  • I put a new 6 volt YNZ’s harness in my 51 Commodore 6volt last fall and I’ve used Rhode Island wiring harnesses before. Both are very good quality. With YNZ’s you buy the complete harness bumper to bumper. With Rhode Island you can buy separate harness piece by piece as you need them. If you add them all up the price comes pretty much the same. Excellent quality, plastic wire then covered with the original cloth covering correct colors and ends. Both are very helpful and both companies do an excellent job.