Update on my steering problems and a request for help

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser

I finally got the '34 into the repair shop today and they sorted out the steering so the car is now a lot more pleasant to drive.

However, they couldn't get things set up exactly as they wanted because they found that the steering box cross shaft spring has broken and asked me to locate a replacement so they can have the car back and finish the job properly.

This spring isn't on the ROC parts store list and I can't find it on any of the lists of the regular Hudson parts suppliers.

Has anyone please got a spare spring of this type that they don't want and would sell to me ?

Failing that, has anyone had this spring break and identified a suitable substitute for it that I could use instead ?

Having found that a lawnmower wheel bushing (!) was an ideal substitute for my steering column bushing, I'm hoping that there's something totally unexpected out there that I can use to replace this spring ! 

Comments

• Check with Jim Digorgio in the HET roster, he restored a 34 piece by piece and can probably help you.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Club roster lists all 1934 cars in club
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    This is the spring between the back of the drop arm and the steering box oil seal?
  • Old Fogey UK
    bob ward said:
    This is the spring between the back of the drop arm and the steering box oil seal?
    I'm assuming that's what it is, Bob. It's the only one referred to in the mechanical procedure manual.
  • bob ward
    I don't think I have one, but in any event international mail is a complete disaster at the moment. Your car will survive AOK with a broken spring, its job is to press the very rudimentary seal (felt or cork washer with a pressed sheet metal cap) against the steering box.
    The steering box oil level is below the level of the seal, the seal only deals with the oil that is churned up by the action of the steering gears and manages to wick along the steering shaft.
    If leakage at that point is a problem change from the thick oil that should be in the steering box to Penrite semi fluid grease or similar. Standard grease is a nono. 
    http://penriteoil.com.au/applications/farm-tractor-machinery/greases/semi-fluid-grease
  • Old Fogey UK
    bob ward said:
    I don't think I have one, but in any event international mail is a complete disaster at the moment. Your car will survive AOK with a broken spring, its job is to press the very rudimentary seal (felt or cork washer with a pressed sheet metal cap) against the steering box.
    The steering box oil level is below the level of the seal, the seal only deals with the oil that is churned up by the action of the steering gears and manages to wick along the steering shaft.
    If leakage at that point is a problem change from the thick oil that should be in the steering box to Penrite semi fluid grease or similar. Standard grease is a nono. 
    http://penriteoil.com.au/applications/farm-tractor-machinery/greases/semi-fluid-grease

Thank you very much, Bob.

It's a relief to know it's nothing vital to the steering set up and I can use the car safely without it.

I'll certainly switch to Penrite semi fluid grease - it's easily available in the UK.

• Old Fogey UK
    bob ward said:

Thank you very much, Bob.

It's a relief to know it's nothing vital to the steering set up and I can use the car safely without it.

I'll certainly switch to Penrite semi fluid grease - it's easily available in the UK.

Please may I have help with some more questions ?
    How do I empty out the old steering box oil without dismantling it - I can't see a drain plug ?
    If there's no plug, can I draw it out with an oil syringe ?
    What quantity of semi fluid grease do I put in ?
    Will the grease be compatible with the remains of the old oil (Castrol Classic EP90) ?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There is no drain plug, you cannot readily insert a suction hose, you fill it to the level of the plug, if it already has EP90 in it, it doesn't matter what you top it up with.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks Geoff !
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I use the semi-fluid steering box grease sold by the Studebaker International store.  https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50001003a~Z5Z5Z5AAHBE~P24.50~~~~S4YQ1EMJIQ66133118380l~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50001003a

Comes in a tube and you use a common caulk gun to dispense.   I filled my ‘34 steering box up to the filler plug on top.   You want to turn the steering back and forth to settle the grease into any voids while filling.   
  • bob ward
    Slackening the 4 bolts on the end cover will let the oil leak out. Messy though, oil goes everywhere.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks again to all who've advised me.
    It looks like most of old stuff has leaked out anyway and so I'm going to just top right up with Penrite. I can't get it in a tube in the UK so I think I'll put the bottle in a bowl of hot water to make it runny enough to pour into the steering box.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I put it in a pistol grip grease gun and pump it in.
  • Old Fogey UK

I warmed the stuff up in hot water and put it in the steering box with an enema syringe !

That worked OK.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Yikes!  I hope your steering does not get haemorhoids!
  • Good thing its a closed system with a slow leak.