6 volt wipers

stevepet
stevepet Member
edited July 2020 in HUDSON
Has anyone out there in hudson land managed to install a 6v electric wiper motor. Quite happy with my wiring but desperately would like better wipers.

Thanks

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    What model Hudson/Essex/Terraplane are we talking about?
  • 52 wasp
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited July 2020
    I am using a 12 volt electric wiper motor from Newport Engineering to run the wipers in my 1954 Hudson.  It is powered by a custom 6 to 12 volt converter.  The converter is turned on with an accessory switch through a relay to the wiper power contact on the wiper switch.  I use the same converter to power a 12 volt electric fuel pump to prime the carb when the car has sat for a long period.  I am very happy with the wiper set up. Before the virus lock downs I participated in a Hudson event over a five day period.  It rained all the way to and from the meet as well as on the driving tour ... wipers worked flawlessly throughout.

For the record Newport provides a 6 volt wiper motor conversion for other antique vehicles. Various companies sell the Newport product with customization to meet their customer focus.  I have one of these 6 volt motors and have changed the mounting plate to one that matches the Hudson installation.  My motor will operate on 6 volts positive ground.  Installation in my 1953 Wasp is this motor's purpose. 

If you carefully examine the Newport product it becomes evident that the motor is the same type used in Marine and Military vehicle applications. These motors are capable of being operated on 6-12-24 vdc and multiple polarity.  The mechanical mounting and electrical interfaces are not universal and a motor manufactures catalog should be consulted to ID the motor one needs to support their intended usage. 

Charlie Harris of Omaha Nebraska has been advertising  6 and 12 volt wiper conversions in the WTN.   
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    I have a 1949 Hudson Super Six and I still have the old vacuum wipes which I have not used for many many years!  Why you may ask?
    I apply RainX to my windscreen every year.  When driving in the rain, the water just beads off to the side leaving you with a crystal clear windscreen whilst driving.
    It's a fantastic product, and yes, my vacuum wipers still work when needed.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I'm right with you Phil!   Have been using it on all my cars for years now.  Only time I use the wipers is when I have to get a Warrant of fitness.   I did convert my Jet to  electric.  Just made up a boss to fit over the end of the shaft, with the lever attached, and made the  connecting links out of steel 5/16" fuel line.  Used a generic Japanese 6v motor, but as mentioned there are several suppliers.   I made up a bracket screwed to the original mount, and mounted a micro-switch actuated by the original Bowden cable, which closes the micro-switch, which energises a relay to  operate the wiper.  If anyone in interested I can provide a photo of the set-up, which is similar for all Step-down models.  For my Hornet, I tried  re-vitalising the original vacuum unit, but was unsuccessful, so found a  replacement from a Ford Thames Trader Truck, and it works amazingly well.   Top half of the fuel pump packed up, which is in line with engine vacuum, so I just connected straight to the inlet manifold.  Perhaps I will do a "Technical Topics" to cover this aspect of our Hudson Motoring.