47 pickup missing part?

40indianssgmailcom
40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
The space between the two front valances appears to need something.  I have either misplaced it or it was not there when I disassembled the truck.  Anyone know what attaches to the two bolt holes and/or have a photo of the missing link?

Comments

• There is a small piece of metal that joins those two pieces together. I have one taken apart I am in the middle of cleaning it up. Hopefully, these pictures help. It isn't a complex part, you should be able to bend a new one on your own.

-Lance
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Thanks for the photos now to find one or make one.  I don't think I ever had one to lose as it is pretty distinctive.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
     By the way what is the purpose of the bottom center hole 
  • Here’s a photo of the under side of it all before I took it apart. Those arrows are pointing at the bolt that goes through that hole and holds that piece along with that support brace that help hold it to the truck. You can see all three bolts coming through that would go through the three holes on the piece we’re talking about. The other two bolts are circled. 

• 40indianssgmailcom
    Great photos and it makes sense to brace the valance at the center like that.  I should have been as diligent as you with photos to document the assembly/ disassembly to aid in reassembly.  Thanks again
  • Glad they helped! If I don’t take photos like this I’d never get things back together.

-Lance
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Not to rain on your parade but you will still probably find that you did not take enough photos when it comes time to reassemble.  Nicely done and thanks again
  • Too true! And actually, looking at my other grill, there is no hole on the bottom. 

• 40indianssgmailcom
    Uncertain what may be correct after 70+ years.  Looking at my valances it appears they may have been supported by a brace/bracket  on the side closer to the radiator
  • The second grill I have which is the one I took off my truck is the same as you’re describing. The first one was a spare that came with the truck. So maybe from a car or something different. 

But with my truck and yours having those side braces, that may be the right way for the truck. 

• 40indianssgmailcom
    Well I grabbed a piece of 18 ga today and made the missing piece so I am certain it will appear sometime in a pile of lost parts.  Some photos of my new filler piece are included.  The screws were temporary and matched the existing slots in the valances and that is why they appear misaligned.  Thanks again for the photos.
  • Looks great, nice work! Nice the chrome strips are back on it will be good as new.