Let’s Talk Late 30’s Gas Tank Options...

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
edited June 2020 in HUDSON
The other day I pulled the gas tank out of my 37 Hudson sedan and at first it looked quite good, upon further inspection I have more concerns.  Therefore, I want to replace the tank with a new tank.  

So I need details from those who have replaced their late 30’s Hudson’s gas tanks.   1) What vehicles tank did you use in your Hudson?  2) What are the fuel pickup’s & fuel sending units to use with the tank & how do they work with the Hudson?   3) What did you do with the filler neck to get it to work with your Hudson?  4) How was it installed?  5) Did you use the Hudson’s original straps or attachment bolts in the floor?  6) What issues did you run across & how were they resolved?  7) did you do the work yourself or fee it out?  8) In the end was it worth it?  And Happy Father’s Day to everyone out there!

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    In lieu of the ability to order a repro (an option our StepDown brethren now have), have you considered sending your tank to a place like Gas Tank Renu, which will repair any rust and coat the tank inside and out so that further corrosion won't take place?  You can of course do this yourself, but it's a time-consuming procedure, and these fellows (at Gas Tank Renu) have a lot of experience.
  • When I bought my 36 Hudson sedan, the trunk floor was rusted out. So was the top of the gas tank. You could look through the trunk at the bottom of the tank.Repairing was not an option, so I had one made.It fits in the stock location. It does not look factory at all, as it is made of 1/8” steel. It has baffles in it to help minimize slosh. It holds a little more than the factory tank. The guy that made it for me, built underground tanks. He fitted the factory filler neck, and a hole for the sending unit. I mounted it to existing frame crossmembers with tabs I welded to the tank. The only drawback..... it is quite heavy.
  • BigSky
    I had this tank done by Tank Renu In 2004 & it’s failing.   I emailed them today about their lifetime warranty today but won’t know anything til next week.  Since the closest Tank Renu is now 10 hours drive away from me that’s looking like a useless warranty if I have to pay shipping!   

I won’t ever use a liner product again!

Yeah I could have one made but I can also build one myself however I’m just not interested in going down those routes.   That’s why I’m looking for something currently made for another car that can be somewhat easily adapted to my Hudson.   I’d seen a couple people discuss a 56 T-bird tank, so I’m curious about their setup as well as what others have used.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    My tank was home made also. It has no baffles and utilized the stock pickup and what looks like a ford sending unit. I will be ordering a tbird gas tank in the next couple of weeks and fitting it up. I called Wildrick and asked Cole if they had one. He told me yes and quoted me a price of $1000.00. That’s when I posted on here looking for a tank and the tbird post was recommended.
  • BigSky
    I had seen one of your posts a few weeks ago & someone was talking about bent metal making custom brackets.  Since I’m not looking for a custom made tank, do you have any ideas how the 56 tbird tank works, etc.?
  • 7XPacemaker
    edited June 2020
    I know that Dirty Dave put one in my Father’s old 112 with minimal work. I am going to put mine up with straps, not mounted to the frame. Look at my post from last week- someone put the link in the post. There is a kit on eBay that has the sending unit,straps, and tank for $199.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    wwwTanks inc.com i used this company  used a universal tank on the 1940 truck worked out fine
  • BigSky
    I took a look at Tanks Inc’s site & there looks to be a couple universal tanks which one could use.  I also spoke to Bent Metal about the 55-56 T-Bird tank & he recommended against using it, if I could find something else.  
  • BigSky
    OMG!!!   I just received a callback from Dan at TANK RENU head office.  HE SAID THEY WONT DO ANYTHING about their failing product on the inside of my tank!    Their liner has failed and is literally coming off but they will not uphold their lifetime warranty to me the original purchaser of the service!  
    Unbelievable!!!

DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS TANK SEALING SERVICE!

• 7XPacemaker
    What was bent metal's reasons? please share before I order mine!
  • BigSky
    Basically parallel top & bottom panels aren’t 100% parallel, it sounds like there’s a little wedge effect to it.  However I’d contact him directly to go over it with him in case I got something wrong.  It maybe something that could be dealt with when not on a show car.  
  • 7XPacemaker
    I called him and got the skinny on it. Back to the drawing board. Tanksinc, here I come.
  • 7XPacemaker
    Charles4d- which on did you use?
  • BigSky
    edited June 2020
    Found another option for a tank which is “really close” to the stock tank size.  Stock I’m measuring 30.75”w x 20.75”d x 7”h on my stock 37 tank.  Just need a different neck...

• BigSky
    edited June 2020
    I gave Tanks Inc. a call this morning to discuss the 53-54 Chevy passenger car tank.  He said it was the same tank as previous year Chevy cars, they just change the neck filler location from left to right.  Looking at the top of the tank there are a couple raised areas next to where the tank necks connects to the tank.  He said those areas were raised up 1/2”-3/4” maximum over the ribbed height top of the tank surface.   

Fortunately the tank has a bolt on filler neck and he said they can work with one to try to find a different neck that will best work for someone using it in a vehicle other than the 53-54 Chevy.   He also said the listed height of 8.25” does included those raised areas of 1/2”-3/4” on top of the tank.  So the max height is 8.25” installed.  Now could those areas on top of the tank be “massaged” flatter, perhaps but no guarantees on that.  

Other pluses of this tank is that a stainless steel version can be had for under $300 or if needed a fuel injected version is also available. 
  • Could you use the neck from your original tank to modify the new neck? 
  • BigSky
    I would definitely want to use a rubber connector to the old neck if possible.  I imagine it will depend on the angle of the neck ones attaching it to.  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited June 2020
    Using a rubber connector or two in the filler pipe is the only practical method for a one off job of ensuring that the filler pipe neck is going to come through the hole in the body nice and neat and central.
    Use the proper fuel tolerant silicon/neoprene/whatever hose of course. 

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    The T-bird shape.  ...and why is it that I can never get the pictures in order?  Or the typing at the beginning of the post?!?!  Is there a tutorial on posting correctly?  ...hmm?  Anyhow, this is the T-bird fuel tank.  You might have to enlarge the pictures.  But it show that not only is the tank different heights front to back, and side to side.  The two halves are not the same either.  So the seam is not parallel to the top or bottom.  Also, because there is a seam protruding outward, it's not very friendly to a strap to the bottom of the floor type of mounting.  Really you want a tank made with end caps then a sheet wrapped around and welded shut on the ends.  Like the originals were.  I did use this tank and mounted it to the frame of the car, not the body.
  • 7XPacemaker
    kind of like this one?
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    7XPacemaker, I think you are getting really close.  If the dimensions were right and the inlet hole moved over and at an angle to match where the filler comes out of the body.  Then that would be good.  Straps would work, would sit straight in the car.  That type of inlet mounting rather than welded is better too, In my opinion.  Because you can take the inlet off, alter it how you want. 
  • 7XPacemaker
    Tank size is close. I called tanksinc and they have block off plates for the existing fill location and a split ring piece for relocation of the filler where you want it. They were extremely helpful. Bigsky and I have been tag teaming this project for a couple of days. After a phone conversation with Bent Metal, we went on the hunt and Bigsky found this one. The dimensions are close enough and the new tank comes with straps as well. I will be ordering this probably after the fourth when I get back from vacation..
  • BigSky
    Just to add another thought as to why we ended up liking this tank, was because of the recessed sending unit & pickup tube.  Important because it will allow the tank to fit flat against the trunk floor, once the fill neck is properly moved.  Unfortunately in my coupe someone made a custom tank & didn’t recess the sending unit on top of the tank.  So they cut a hole in the trunk floor to allow it to sit flat.  Morons!

One thing which could be a big future help is the ability to get that tank with the fuel injector tray, assuming there wouldn’t be any issues running it with a carb now.  That option was no extra money, $225 total!

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=173/category_id=133/mode=prod/prd173.htm
  • BigSky
    edited June 2020
    My modified floor.... Not ideal!  
    However, maybe on a pickup it’s not an issue?  I can’t tell you on that one but if the original is flat against the floor it looks to be a good option for a tank.

• 7XPacemaker
    Digging up bones here- just finishing up my gas tank from Tanks INC for the '39 112. I had to do a little bit of modifying to make it work and will sleeve the original neck onto this tank..
  • BigSky
    Thank you for keeping us updated & I look forward to seeing how the tank fits into place.  I know a lot of Hudson owners, including myself, will benefit from your sharing this with us!
  • Wow! was just getting ready to take the tank for my 36 Terraplane to the local Tank Renu. Guess I better rethink things. Doesn't sound like there are any easy options.
  • BigSky
    Dan, did you not see the pictures I posted of the Gas TankRenu I had done on my tank?   You’d better take a look at the beginning of this thread & read about how crappy the corporate office treated me.  IMHO if you went to have their service done your throwing your money away!
  • 7XPacemaker