35 T tire / tyre pressures.

35 Terraplane
35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
Hi All,
The Procedure Manual and owners manual for the 35 T shows the "minimum" tire / tyre pressures as 22 PSI front and 28 PSI rear.  Both seem low.  I'd like to hear what others may be running.  

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    28 front, and 32 rear on my Essex, have been doing that for 64 years, and tyre wear is even.   That is factory recommended.   On Jet I  do 28 all round.   On your car I reckon 28 and 30 would be fine.  Tyres are different from 1935, when they were 6 ply and camvas belted.   Modern tyres are Nylon.    Be guided by how the car rides and steers, and on tyre wear.  Should wear evenly across the treads.   Trouble is few of us do enough miles  per year to actually ascertain that.   
  • 35 Terraplane
    Thanks Geoff.  Your recommendations seems much more plausible for a starting point.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    80 years on tyre technology has changed, be guided by the inflation pressures printed on the side wall.
  • 35 Terraplane
    Geoff, Bob,  Indeed you both had the good info.  I'd purchased new Goodyear Diamond tread tires and never looked at them thinking the original dies would have been used to make them.  The original tires didn't have such data on them and I have no idea how old they were.   The new one have "4 ply nylon cord" and "32 psi max" along with load rating etc embossed on them.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Geoff and Bob -
    What would be your recommended pressures for modern 650 x 16 tyres please ?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You will find the ride fairly hard with Nylon cords if you have too much pressure in  them.  I would go with 28/32 initially and see how it handles.
  • bob ward
    650x16 tyre pressures. The sidewall on most tyres only states the max allowable cold pressure. You would think that somewhere in the manufacturer's literature there would also be a minimum allowable pressure which is maybe - and I'm guessing here - 10% or 15% below the max. That would be the range you have to work with.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Thank you both.
    The 1930s pressures were given as 22 front and 28 back which always seemed wrong to me.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    This era had more weight on the back, not the front. That is likely part of the reason the recommended rear tyre pressure is more than the front.
  • This era had more weight on the back, not the front. That is likely part of the reason the recommended rear tyre pressure is more than the front.
    You’re right... my 36 Hudson sedan weighs 3280 pounds. 1400 pounds on the front wheels, 1880 on the rear.
  • 35 Terraplane
    If you were to torque the lug bolts on a 35 T what would it be?
    OR would it fall under "good mechanic tight"
  • bob ward
    From bolt suppliers web pages the max recommended torque on an unplated grade 5 bolt 1/2"-20 is 85 ft.lb. which is a 55 lb pull on an 18" socket handle. Absent a torque wrench "good mechanic tight" sounds about right.