Engine removal —- 1947 pickup

I am just about ready to pull the engine from my ‘47 pickup for repainting. I have removed everything except the clutch shaft lever.  I just can’t find a way to wiggle it out of there. Do I have to disassemble the shaft In place  at the mounting plate (spring loaded) end? Do I have to remove all the other bracketry related to the brake pedal? Can I lift the engine and move it a little to the right to provide clearance? Is there something I’m missing that is really simple?

The shop manual is no help.  The method of engine removal detailed there leaves the transmission in the car and I want to pull engine, transmission and overdrive as a unit.  Shop manual says nothing (or I should say, “I can’t find it”) about removing just the clutch shaft lever by itself.

Thanks I advance. Tom

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

Tom the attached picture is found on page 142 of the 1942-47 Mechanical procedures manual.  The arrows point holes in the mounting plate that have bolts which when removed will allow the shaft to be pulled out to the bell housing and then the engine + transmission should be free to be removed.  Good Luck   Ken Cates Waco Texas
  • Hi Ken. Yes, that’s why I said the shop manual is no help in this situation. It does not address actual removal of the shaft. I had looked at that page and removed those bolts and moved the mounting plate up enough to clear the bracket it is bolted to and the nose of the shaft is out of the bell housing.  I just can’t wiggle it around in a way to get the whole shaft out.

I was not clear in my original post. I should have said that I had already removed the mounting bolts.

Photo shows how far I can get before the long arm on the shaft that goes toward the back of the chassis hangs up on the brake pedal linkage.
    Tom

• That did the trick. Thank you.Tom