Overdrive issue

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
When I took the transmission and overdrive out to replace the clutch plate, I thought I would be able to remember wiring for the overdrive.  I can’t so I went to the repair manual.  I think I have it hooked up right but when I switch on the ignition, the overdrive solenoid immediately engages.  At least I assume that is what the clicking noise that I’m hearing is indicating.  It is on 48 Commodore that has the four terminal solenoid.  I wired in the resister from terminal 4 to 3 as Park Waldrop suggested and it worked until I screwed up.  Any advice on how to proceed?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You're sure you are looking at the correct wiring diagram for your year of Hudson?

Also: is the solenoid engaging because perhaps the kickdown switch or governor is somehow shorted out (so the OD thinks you want to kick down, and is thus engages the solenoid).  Just hazarding a guess.  Someone more knowledgeable than I, will step in here shortly.... 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Thanks Jon.  I am using a modern relay which, along with a toggle switch, used to work perfectly.  Now for some reason I am blowing out fuses and the solenoid is making a grinding noise.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited June 2020
    And the grinding noise in the solenoid starts when you turn the ignition key?  Since nothing is moving in the engine / transmission, what could it be grinding against?  With the OD knob pushed in (OD "enabled"), do you get a different click from the solenoid when you "floor" the accelerator?  (I don't know if it works that way in the 1941 and newer OD's.  Mine is a 1940 which is an earlier, simplified version.)

If the OD did click when depressing the accelerator, I wonder if it would be a different kind of click that the "grinding" noise you're hearing.

I'm unacquainted with the resistor that Park has suggested.  Are you sure you're installing the correct one that he suggested, and in the correct way?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I am going to try another method tomorrow and see what happens.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Jon, I rewired the overdrive using a double point toggle switch and took the kick down switch out of the equation.  It seems to be working properly now, but I won’t be satisfied until I can test drive it to be sure.  I don’t remember the source of the wiring diagram that I used but I want to thank whoever came up with that method.