Clutch spring installation

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I just purchased the large clutch spring for my 48.  I didn't even know this spring existed until I bought my 49.  In any event, I tried to stretch that sucker the 2 inches needed to go on the bracket using a small wrecking bar and/or vice grips.  The fact of the matter is that I'm not strong to do the job.  I used to have a go-devil, but I can't find it.  Anybody out there have any tips on how to do this without knocking out my eye or breaking my back?  

Comments

• I used the tool for installing brake springs on drum brakes.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited June 2020
    The attached picture is from the factory manual.  It shows the KENT MOORE tool that is used to R&R the spring in question.  It works great... I bought the tool on eBay about 6 years ago. The tool is very simple and can be replicated with a turn buckle and two lengths of threaded rod. 

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Glowplug that is not the spring that I'm talking about.  The spring I'm referring to attaches to the lower end of the clutch pedal and a tab that is bolted to the frame.  See the attached photo.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Jason, no argument intended; but it is the spring and the tool Hudson provided to safely remove the spring from the tab.  Look closely at the manual picture.  The circular head of the tool is engaged in the spring that attaches to the frame hook mount.  Good luck
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor

When I installed that spring on my frame, it tended to pull clutch down instead of pulling it back to the top. What'd I do wrong? I left it off.

Kim

• allan
    allan Member
    jason, I used vise grips clipped on the spring and a hydraulic jack pushing against it and the frame to extend the spring enough to engage.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I'm a firm believer in the old saying, "Necessity is the Mother of Invention".  I had an old broken vise and piece of two inch square tubing.  I combined the two and came up with attached clutch spring tool.  I have a few bugs to work out but it looks real promising.  
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I used my invention to install the spring today.  It took all of ten minutes and very little effort.