Hudson 308 starter motor

baz
baz Member
hi I have had my hudson for hornet for 11 years converted to 12 volt then. But not the starter . So 6 volt running on 12 volt sometimes the starter gets hot and will not start I need a reliable starter as I am disabled and can only work on my car at home not on the roadside can anyone please help me to get a starter that works reliably I love driving it but can’t chance it not starting if I am out ! Breaks my heart to see it sitting on the drive thanks regards Barry 

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Barry, get your starter rewound for 12 volts.  Your starter may work now for a while but sooner or later one of the ears on the starter will break due to increased torque from the 12 volt power supply. These starters were designed for six volts. They will work for a time on 12 volts but will fail ultimately. There are also competition 12 starters and no doubt someone will chime in on which brand will work in your car but that starter you have in your car needs to come out . Rewiring the car for 12 volts is fine but you need to change your starter.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I put one of these in my '54 and never have had a problem since.  However, you must have a hydramatic trans.  Lighter and more power than the old Autolite ones.  Running a 6V starter on 12V for a period of time is a recipe for disaster as I found out!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hudson-Hydramatic-Mini-12-Volt-Starter-Replaces-MCH6107-MCH6204-1951-1954/274308885934?hash=item3fde156dae:g:hm0AAMXQCgpRs9Jz