transmission swap

My 1948 super six has a supermatic drive transmission can I put the same year transmission in it without the super matic drive? if anyone wants to see a photo of it ,send your smart phone # thanks.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited May 2020
    The supermatic is semi-automatic shifting apparatus attached to a standard transmission.  If your transmission is in good repair you should be able to remove the super matic and operate your car.  There are manuals on line and you can find the super matic drive manual on my website under Transmissions.  https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

Ken Cates 
    Waco, Texas
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Supermatic was a one year only option, '50, with the exception of a few '51, I believe Pacemakers that still had the option.  The '48 - '49 would have been Drivemaster.  The only difference was Supermatic allowed the use of OD.

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I had a 1950 Hudson Pacemaker Deluxe with Supermatic (sort of worked).  There was a two button, chrome, on-off metal switch in the middle of the dash that said Supermatic on it.    A crescent shaped chrome Supermatic badge was on the trunk too.  

I thought about removing it, but the throttle linkage to the carb was attached to some of the Supermatic brackets and thus would have required finding a replacement linkage and attachments once the Supermatic was taken off.  I just kept it on as a curiosity for when displaying the car at local "cruise nights" and Hudson meets.   Got a lot of "what's that on the engine?!" especially at general car shows.