Tail lamp wiring issues

54Hollywood
54Hollywood Senior Contributor
Working on a '54 Hornet and I'm having trouble with the wiring for the tail lamps.  I had to replace the junction block, so I did that and thought I had correctly connected the wiring to it based on the wiring diagram.  So now everything works EXCEPT the left tail lamp and the license plate lamp.  I double checked the wiring diagram and I guess I cannot figure out how those two feeds get power?  Looking at the block from the back of the car, here's the lineup:  top of block left to right, #37 right stop/turn lamp, #28 left stop/turn lamp, #21 right tail lamp, #21 left tail lamp.  Bottom of block left to right, #37 right stop/turn lamp (power), #28 left stop/turn lamp (power), #21 license plate lamp, #21 left tail lamp.  So again, how do the license plate and left tail lamps get power?  What am I missing?  Thanks much. 

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The junction block has “doubled “ connectors for those junctions that have multiple destinations. Make sure there is continuity front to back and end to end of each wire. 
  • 54Hollywood
    So is it possible that the junction block I have has "single" connectors rather than "double" connectors?  Did Hudson use two different blocks and if so, why?  When I run a jumper power wire to each lead for the license plate and left tail lamp, they both work.  Just not through the block.    
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The wires that connect those two circuits run from the junction block to the individual lamps.  Those circuits are in a separate wiring harness.  Check that wiring harness for continuity. Yes, Hudson used different junction blocks based on distribution of circuits.  
  • 54Hollywood
    Very interesting.  I'll have time tomorrow to investigate this further and I'll let you know.  Thanks for the info.
  • 54Hollywood
    Success!  Not sure why I would have had a block with the "single" connectors in the first place but after switching to "double" connectors, everything works.  One of life's little mysteries, again.  Thanks for your help.