engine removal

Hi, is there a trick to remove the engine on my 48 super six, I did what the book said, but the engine won't come out, I unbolted the front mounts, and the rear transmission mount, the book said to pull the engine with the transmission,I removed all the linkage, it lift up from the front motor mounts,but will not come forward?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Might seem a silly question, did you undo the front  universal joint?
  • Yes I did

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    edited May 2020
    I m not to sure about a 1948 Is the floor panel that covers the transmission out and is their a cross member 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You need to tilt the assembly up at the front quite a bit, to clear the front cross member and centre steering pivot.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    All clutch and gearshift linkages removed?
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    Front floorboard removed?
  • I did not remove the floor board, the repair manual did not tell me to do that?
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    You have to be able to lift the transmission up high enough to get the drain plug to go above the transmission crossmember.  Removal of the transmission cover (floorboard) will allow this.
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    54coupe said:
    You have to be able to lift the transmission up high enough to get the drain plug to go above the transmission crossmember.  Removal of the transmission cover (floorboard) will allow this.
    I agree with 54coupe. Put a floor jack under the car to lift up on the transmission. Position the floor jack in the direction the car is pointing so the floor jack will roll forward as you move the engine forward.

You will only be able to go afew inches, enough to get past the drain plug, until you will have to reposition the floor jack.

Good luck.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    It will be easier if you remove the transmission drain plug before you try to move it forward with the engine.  That plug has a tendency to get snagged by the crossmember.  
  • dalma
    dalma Member
    Did you remove the clutch cross shaft? Remove the floor panel to do this. Not doing so would make it very difficult.
  • It's out,thank to everyone who tried to help.

• This happened to me first time pulling a stepdown motor transmission assembly. Hung up on the drain plug but it actually tells you in the manual to drain oil out of the transmission they just neglected to say leave the plug out .