Nothing sounds as smooth as a H8

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited May 2020 in HUDSON
I had not had my C8 out since early last fall.  Decided to get it started and for once in all the time I have owned it, it took a bit of time to get it primed.  Nonetheless, once fired up it was a joy just to sit and hear it hum.  Things may be electric in the future of the sound of a great straight 8 is one that will always be beautiful.

I know marketing wise it would not have made a lot of sense, but if Hudson had put their efforts in producing a new H8 instead of the 308 it would have been a stunning performer.  Bernie Seigfried wrote about the experimental 8s they tested in '52 and how it would run away from the 308.  However, they should have put their dwindling funds in a V8, but doubt it would have made a big difference.  Although, going into a merger with Nash with a V8 they would have held a much stronger hand, if it still would have happened.

Comments

• The bottom line here too is that the Big 3, mainly the big 2, did more shady crap to put all of the independent car companies out of business, just corporate greed. No company had much of a chance. 
  • Val
    Val Member
    I would love hear it run. I have never had the chance to hear a Hudson 8 run. Please post a video if possible 
  • I heard my first one last weekend at Joe Brights in Melrose, NM. He has a 50 C8 sedan he’s selling, runs good and sounds so good as well
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor

Completely agree on the quiet sound or low rumble, and the soothing smoothness it gives. A 254 in a 40 Hudson starting up at a meet got my attention. I stated the hunt right away. Been told I could easily sneak up on folks. Absolute joy to drive. Mine isn't pretty but sure is fun to drive. in process of changing from 4:10 gear to 3:56. Trying to lower rpms. Lower height of radial opposed to bias ply makes engine turn a bit faster. Been apart over a week waiting on pair of inner seals.

Kim

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Well, I have several short video's of a 39 254 running in my 47 pickup and my 40 model 44 running.  Can't post video's here apparently but I could send ya a couple.  email larrypcramer@gmail.com
  • MickeyB
    MickeyB Member
    Remember watching one of the members of the Michigan club (many years ago) balance a nickel on the cylinder head of a running Hudson eight.  Walking up to the car, you couldn't tell if it was running.  SMOOOOTH!
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited May 2020
    The first year I had my C8 on the road my son and I took it to the local Christmas parade.  We were just coasting in first gear at idle and some kids said, hey that car is not even running?  His grandfather said, that's a Hudson.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Val said:
    I would love hear it run. I have never had the chance to hear a Hudson 8 run. Please post a video if possible 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qly_OtiTSE

Good sound at 24 seconds on.

• 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor

I enjoy my 37 Hudson Eight so much,  I have hit the starter button when it was running and can balance a nickel on the hood when running.  My friends 37 will balance the nickel on the cylinder head because Doug Wildrick rebuilt that engine. 

• kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor

Yes. Got it from Larry Kennedy. And your supplying inner seals. Has 225 75 15s on it. All I need to reassemble is inner seals, 2 of um, one each side and I'm waiting, waiting and waiting. I accidently shorted shipping 5 bucks, so I'm waiting, waiting. It was only 5 bucks and I'm waiting.

Kim