1947 pickup lower door hinge pin replacement

40indianssgmailcom
40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
anyone have a simple readily available pin replacement method.  Or what has someone else done to remedy a slightly worn lower hinge?

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    I think their is a tool to replace the pins in hinges .I read it somewhere  someone eles might know
  • I’ve seen adds for this tool and a photo. I think the ford vendors have it, and maybe Eastwood Co.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    I think it was a ford item
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    mine were so bad I sliced the hinge vertically with a cutoff wheel to get the old pin out and replaced the pin with a bolt from the hardware store.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Okay with the pin removal but what to use as a replacement?  A stainless bolt or grade 8 or?
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Hole is probably oval so you might need a reamer, then turn up a set of new pins.
  • boothguy
    boothguy Senior Contributor
    I didn't have any luck with the Ford tool from Bob Drake even with heat
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I was hoping for something off the shelf but looks like possibly Bridgeport and lathe to do it correctly.  Oh well it is just time and/or money
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Thanks I can check with the vintage ford parts guys for pins.  It's a place to start
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Isnt the problem more on getting the old pins out and needing to ream the hole oversize?  Then machine up pins to fit ? I have struggled trying to remove the doors - hinges- on Hudsons. I am sure if the hinges could go on the bench off the car that would be ideal - is that possible? On a full restoration certainly they must pull the doors off? Could Dr. Doug give some advice. For me I  could not get the hinge screws loose. I would wait on ordering the pins until the old ones are out. I machined up a pin pushing tool like a c-clamp with threaded hole for a screw to push the pin and a hole in the top of the tool to allow pin to move out - did not work. not strong enough and ,not enough clearance to make the tool beefier.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Actually I have had the lower hinges removed from the body.  This made getting the pin out relatively easy.  And yes my query is really about reaming to the proper size and finding or making the pin.  Does one make a brass bushing or just leave steel rod on steel hinge?   I ended up drilling out the screws for some on the lower hinges and cleaned the holes with the proper tap.  The hinge on the body is riveted if I remember correctly and I drilled those out also.  However the next problem is how to reattach the hinge to the body.  The door part is easy with new bolts/screws but I think the hinge to the post can be done with buttonhead type screw or a pan head type and 1/2 thick nylock nut on the interior side of the post.  If I remember correctly the thread sizes are 5/16 by 24tpi.  It would be nice to tap the hinge plate and not use a nut but the existing rivet hole on the door opening is 5/16 and it would need to be drilled to 3/8 and not aesthetically satisfactory to me.  Hope this makes sense to those reading
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Not quite sure if I follow - but I would be happy to help (only cost of materials and shipping). I am a retired machinist with lathes and mills at my home shop here in SLC, UT. I could make a set of pins - to your oversize reamed hole if necessary. Could be steel or bronze if considered best.  After some more advice on this forum we could email. Gert Kristiansen Deseret Chapter.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Appreciate your offer.  Looked at the parts again today and need to consider brass or bronze bushing as possible solution.  The part of hinge attached to the door is not as substantial as the the hinge piece that is attached to the door pillar/post.  May be necessary to modify/strengthen the part on the door also