Hudson Brake Hose to Wheel Cylinders

BigSkyBigSky Posts: 492Senior Contributor
I was advised the Wagner WC9337 & WC9336 front wheel cylinders would fit the original hoses on my 1937 Hudson, but they do not.  Thus I need some help to see if there are options to my problem.  

It looks like the new wheel cylinders are 7/16-24 & my hose is 7/16-20, but I’m guessing here.  Does anyone have a good way to check that?   I searched but see no adapter available & thus I may have to get custom made hoses to resolve the issue.  Outside of that any suggestions?

Comments

• bob wardbob ward Posts: 1,114Senior Contributor
    edited May 15
    To find out what threads you have you need a set of thread gauges, always useful when messing around with old cars.
    A new custom made hose with the fittings you require will cost around $30, provide the brake shop your old hose and new wheel cylinder so they know exactly what they are dealing with.
    PS when you say original hoses do you mean original as in maybe 83 years old? (smiley face)

• Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Posts: 3,890Senior Contributor
    I can get you the correct wheel cylinders for the hoses with the 7/16"-20 threads. Is that what you need?

If you have wheel cylinders with 7/16"-24 threads, they probably have the inverted flare in them already. Do they have the inverted flare? If so someone substituted those for the 9337 and 9336, the bore and mounting are the same but the inlets are different. I can get you the correct ones that have a 7/16"-20 thread and are through inlet, no inverted flare, you use a copper sealing washer between the hose end and the wheel cylinder, like originals.

You can use the 9337 & 9336 on the rear axle, but you will simply need to make two new rear brake lines that go on the rear axle, they will need to be about 1/2" longer since you no longer will be using the brass adapter with inverted flare and copper washer. Use the 7/16"-20 flare nuts on the ends of the lines where they thread into the brass T on the rear axle, and 7/16" -24 flare nuts on the ends that go into the new 9337 & 9336 wheel cylinders.

Here's the differences between the wheel cylinders you have, and the correct wheel cylinders you need to use the correct front hoses
  • BigSkyBigSky Posts: 492Senior Contributor
    I’ll take a look & see what I’ve got...
    I did my research, the WC9336 & 9337 are the inverted flare type with the 7/16"-24 thread, so they will not work with your front hoses. They do work on the rear, if you make new slightly longer right and left rear 1/4" lines with the appropriate 7/16-24 flare nuts at the wheel cylinder ends.

I have the correct left front one on hand and can get the right one in a few days.

That’s what I was coming up with 7/16-24 threads on the replacement wheel cylinders (WC9336 & 9337).  With a stock hose end of 7/16-20 ideally an adapter would be the easiest fix but I haven’t found that to be an option.  Next would be to have some custom hoses made to fit what I have already in place.  Finally would be to replace the wheel cylinders which isn’t my ideal route but it maybe one I have to take.  Unfortunately I can’t use the wheel cylinders on the ford rear end I have in the car.  

I sincerely appreciate all your help figuring this out & now comes the decision.
    I forgot about the stupid Ford rear end......Let me know if you want the correct front cylinders.

Will do, Thanks Ken!
    Can you not return the WC9337 & 9336 wheel cylinders?

Just where did you get the erroneous information that the WC 9336 & 9337 were correct for the fronts? From Uncle Josh, aka Larry Cramer? A lot of that information floating around on the forums and facebook are outdated and / or erroneous. You never did inquire on here about the front wheel cylinders, so I assume you got that info of the net somewhere....
    I don’t recall, probably an internet search of some kind.  I usually try to search for an answer before I post a question that’s been asked a whole bunch of times. 
    So, you do not want the correct front wheel cylinders, just to wrap this up?

What part numbers are they?  Maybe I can locate them locally.
  • Jon BJon B Posts: 7,085Administrator
    I bought the WC9336 and WC9337 and hose #4900 (United), 2-3 years ago and they fit my Terraplane fine.  However, I had replaced my front drums and backing plate with those from a Commodore (I think it was a Pre-StepDown) some years ago.  Not sure how that would cause a mis-fit though.  BigSky, where was the problem: was it in actually attaching the wheel cylinder, or did the hose not fit the cylinder?
    Jon B, the 4900 hose has the wheel cylinder fiTting  of 7/16"-20 thread, the WC 9336 & 9337 wheel cylinderS have an inlet thread of 7/16"-24.......the threads will not mate. That is the problem. 
  • bob wardbob ward Posts: 1,114Senior Contributor
    These are 7/16"-24 male x 3/8"-24 female brake line adapters, presumably other varieties exist.

• 29sptphaeton29sptphaeton Posts: 280Member
    Why bother with a bunch of fittings and adaptors that could leak . Ken U said he has the correct wheel cylinders and hoses.
  • PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 868Administrator
    The question was asked re wheel cylinders and some debate was entered into.

I'm closing this discussion down now because it seems to becoming more personal as opposed to answering a simply put question
This discussion has been closed.