No Turn Signals retrofit

Apologies if this subject has been covered, could not find a previous post: 
My 54 Wasp does not seem to be orginally equipped with TURN SIGNALS, I use my hands.  The parking lights are single contact bulbs etc, there is no lever/switch, but there are "arrow" indicator cutouts on instrument panel.  I purchased this switch from eBay - I assume I will need to change or convert the sockets to two-wire bulbs & add a flasher.  Has anyone done this and can share the steps involved?  Will I need to rewire the whole lighting system, or just add to it??

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    This should provide you with the wiring needed.  Go to my website to find socket information for bulbs. 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you have any wish to use the original 1954 setup, you could write around to some of the Hudson parts vendors in the WTN and ask if they have one of the original switches for sale.  Possibly someone has salvaged the entire setup including wiring and sockets.  However, with just the original switch, some sockets and a blinker, you should be able to set up the full 1954 system in your car.  And of course the original Hudson switch will be self-canceling, which this aftermarket switch may not be.

The only thing you won't get with the original setup, will be the 4-way emergency flasher (which of course was not in use in 1954).  But, it doesn't look like your aftermarket switch has an emergency flasher either.  One solution would be to buy one of the retro-fit kits that were sold in auto supply stores in the 1950's and 60's to fit earlier cars like the '54 Hudson.
  • ratwasp
    ratwasp Member
    thank you replies.  It appears the aftermarket switch has 7 WIRES, but this diagram it came with does not take into account an existing system: