1933 Essex KT Deluxe 8

Hi all. I just purchased this car. It was for sale near Sacramento in 2013. There was some back and forth on it on another thread. I’m going to need 6 tires. Advice on some items as of this morning: is there even a remote possibility of finding a trunk valise for this vehicle and how on earth do I go about replacing the roof canvas? Where do I get period correct bias ply tires? And any advice on survivor techniques? I’m looking forward to the responses. FYI. My other car is a restored 1940 Lincoln Zephyr Continental cabriolet. 

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Very nice... thanks for sharing!

• Very nice
  • Here’s the car after a cleaning day. After 71 years in storage she’s not ugly. 
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Good looking indeed 
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Very nice! These were well built bodies, hopefully the doors click closed nice and easily.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Great car, and welcome to the group.  If you're not yet a member of the H-E-T, I heartily recommend it.  Much easier to find parts, tech info and fellow enthusiasts that way!  

Period-correct bias-ply tires, and even radials, are readily available. Not sure what you mean by a trunk valise -- do you mean a separate trunk, or a trunk rack upon which a period-correct trunk can be strapped?  (The answer is yes in both cases, though you may not find an authentic Hudson one.)  The roof material is available but it will be a "universal" type, not necessarily an exact match for what was used originally. Survivor techniques?  I'd say, "drive defensively!".  Seat belts are also advisable.  
  • Thanks for the response Jon. I’ll follow up on your advice and join. I’m a member of LZOC & LCOC for my other sled. 
    Also appreciate the humor. When I asked about survivor techniques I was trying to get an idea what I could get away with polishing up and still be able to call the car a survivor. Since we don’t intend to restore it but do intend to drive it regularly and show it as well. 
    That said I understand the tires are 6.00 x 16 but when I talked to tire guys with that info today they responded as though I was an alien. So obviously I’m missing something in the translation. Can you clue me into the correct size lingo and where I might acquire them?
    Regarding the top, it’s an interesting construct but another thing that’s foreign to me. What type of material would it be and where might I acquire it?
    As for the trunk, vss as Lise May have been the wrong word, I’ll need one of those as well as the rack it sits on. The plugs are still in the back of the car so I assume it never had one. Just thought it might be a cool add. Anyhow, thanks for the leafs and the responses. Folks like you make this adventure much more enjoyable. 
  • Signed up. I’m now an official card carrying member 
  • Corrected text. As for the trunk, valise may have been the wrong word, I’ll need A trunk as well as the rack it sits on. The plugs are still in the back of the car so I assume it never had one. Just thought it might be a cool add. Anyhow, thanks for the leads and the responses. Folks like you make this adventure much more enjoyable. 
  • Also need the spring clips that hold the 8 louvres onto the sides of the hood flaps. I have the louvres and the clips but the springs that actuate the clips are wasted. 
  • The 600;16 tires are available from Coker Tire, The springs for the hood doors are available from Carl Weber, plugs in the back of the body are correct for a trunk rack car. That’s where the spare tire mount would bolt on for a rear mounted spare.
  • My 1932 Hudson Top
  • 1932 hudson trunk rack
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    edited May 2020
    Being a Deluxe model, yours will have external horns and twin ashtrays built into the dash...For authentic period tires you want the  Goodyear Diamond tread. Try Lucas tires. I would also suggest joining the Terraplane SEVEN facebook page. 
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    1932 hudson trunk rack
    Did they use the same trunk rack from 29 to 32?
  • Not sure

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator

Kelsey Tires sells the Goodyear All Weathers, very "period" look.  But you can find 600 x 16 bias ply tires in modern "look" much cheaper, both black and whitewall. https://www.kelseytire.com/antique/military-series/600-16-deluxe-all-weather-3-5-ww/ .   Look for your tires on the internet, not at the local tire company.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    As to the roof construction and the fabric used, here's an article in the AACA website: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/282388-vinyl-top-on-old-car/  Here's a photo "how to" showing a roof insert being installed on a '33 Ford. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/soft-top-roof-insert-on-a-33-5-window/29156://  You can buy vinyl-like waterproof fabrics for the insert.  And you can buy various types of perimeter seals, such as this from Steele:

• 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    For the most authentic style,choose a smooth grain vinyl for the top. Goodyear diamond tread all season 16X6.00 are what came on the car new, use blackwalls for the period correct look.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Good looking car with 'chopped' windshield and suicide doors, 'mail slot' back window.  Looks to be a convertible not a roadster
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Looks like nice start.  How are the floors, frame, and drive train.   
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    I wonder how many people know who the fellow in the picture is?  Roy Chapin himself.

• Wow... Thanks for all the help. I'm excited about bringing this one back to life. 33kc, In response to your question about the condition of the Floors Frame and DT. All complete, intact and no rust. Thanks for asking. The only parts I can see that I need are as follows: Tires (working on that today), the drivers side spare mount is missing (spare fender and cover are there), the drivers side headlight mount, of cast, is broken, The door springs for the hood doors. 1Hubcap (we have 5) and the rear door privacy shades (although it looks like they were never installed). The other shades are green and mostly too brittle to be serviceable.

With my '40 Zephyr Continental I was able to get an original build card from the ford foundation. Is there a similar path available today given that the company is no longer in business?

Thanks it for now. Thanks again. Pics to follow momentarily.

• Also looks as thought we are missing the hardware for the window latch (first pic) and a set of horns. Are these parts still available? Thanks, Rob
  • I can get you a headlight base casting made using 3D printing if you are interested, just let me know. They are not cheap but they are much stronger than the original pot metal and will never break. Also, I guess you know that your front bumper is not correct for a '33. Many people have an incorrect bumper. They were brittle and broke easily. They are basically unobtanium.
  • Jon, Thank you for the advice on the tires. I just looked at the link for the top and now it does not seem as difficult as I had anticipated.
  • Hey Mike, 3d sounds like a winner. What's it going to cost? Also the front bumper is not correct as I believe they swapped front to back for some reason. Ill be correcting that shortly.

• Also having doubts about this one being a deluxe, I was told that it was a KT Deluxe 8. Any idea how I can verify or disclaim that? Thanks, Rob
  • 29sptphaeton mentioned I could get the hood vent springs from Carl Weber (thanks for that). I've done a site search and a global search and only come up with an author. Can you get me a little closer to the trail? Thanks