Overdrive issue

My 50 Super 6 overdrive cuts out while while I’m driving down the highway, just started doing this all of a sudden.  Anyone have a similar issue and what to look for, I’m thinking something simple. I have cleaned the lockdown switch, but didn’t remove for cleaning. The problem is worse once the car is nice and hot from driving. 

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    What do you mean by "cuts out".  You mean that you're cruising in overdrive and it suddenly downshifts to 3rd gear without your pushing the accelerator to the floor?
  • Yes sir, sometimes it’ll reengage and sometime not
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited May 2020
    I'm no expert, but I'd think the trouble lies either in the electric governor or in the kickdown switch (or its wiring).  If the insulation on the wiring has a bare spot, it may occasionally hit a metal part of the car and short out, and the effect will be the same as if you tromped the accelerator to the floor.  However, someone more knowledgeable than I will step in here, and give you some better answers.
  • that’s a good start to check, I did notice when it’s acting up that I don’t hear the click of the relay at cut in or cut out speeds