rear fenders

Is it difficult to remove the rear quarter panels on a stepdown car?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Depends on the year, I believe.  Up to 1954, they bolt on.  In '54, they're welded.  (Ahh, but I have an old prehistoric Hudson so what do I know....?)
  • I have a 48 Hudson Super Six business coupe
  • Prehistoric Hudson? I think all of the Hudson have class
  • Wookie they do unbolt, pretty easy actually, just have to expose the bolts from under the backseat area quarter windows. The bottom is held together with screws at the rocker panel
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    Yeah not a bad job atall. If you are working on old parts get yourself a can of this penetrating oil. The best stuff I have found to loosen those bolts that are froze. 

Its called "free all" we have it at our napa and most farm/auto stores around here.

https://factorysupplyoutlet.com/gasoila-chemicals-free-all-deep-penetrating-oils-12-oz-aerosol-can/?cmp_id=9681132611&adg_id=102534259834&kwd=&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjw4871BRAjEiwAbxXi28tNnzS7xOUR4zAyTr_X6dpE6U6YRQWOM3LnDOA3j43F5h5pgYO2mBoCwC4QAvD_BwE

• Thanks for all the helpful information

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Be careful of the paint at the seam line. If it has been repainted, odds are that they painted it all as one piece. removing the fender could have some paint consequences!
  • this car has original paint on it. last registered in 1957. Been Wyoming sand blasted for years
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser

On a 53 4 door sedan, you will need to remove the outer bumper end to remove the lag screw at the lower rear quarter.  The lower fender trim and retainer along with the center fender skirt mounts.  The rear seat to access the 3 bolts in the door jamb behind the interior trim panel.  Then there are about 7 or 8 lag screws that are at the top of the fender ( 3 or 4 in the trunk, 1 above the wheel well, and 2 or 3 below the interior window.  From there you will need to lift the lower part of the fender up and outward in an arc to get the gas tank filler neck to feed through and the top portion of the fender off the rain gutter lip behind the panel.

Of course your coupe quarter will have a few more screws along the top since they are longer than the sedan, but they are fairly easy to remove. 

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited May 2020
    If you go to my website     https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com         There is a link named appears on my body work page that  shows the body panels for your car.