Correct metering rods 308

schillaz
schillaz Expert Adviser
I am going to be running a Carter 2bbl 776s on a stock 308. What metering rod should I start out with?

I see on Walts Hudson Tech Tips Vol2 page 14 he says the 776s carbs stock rods are 75-754.
Recently I have taken apart 4 spare 776s carbs and I have:
75-732  one size lean
75-741  two sizes lean
(2 sets) 75-742 three sizes lean

Question is do I start with the 732 one size lean and put some miles on it and fine tune from there or will I need to find the 75-754 stock rods? 

Curious what metering rods others are running if they are not running twin H on a 308.

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    edited May 2020
    Elevation? Typically just need to lean those out if you're running at high elevation.  You really wanna get crazy, new Edelbrock Performer jets fit the WGD.
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    I'm in the central plains of North Dakota so somewhere around 2,000 feet I believe. Its all flat open highway running around here. haha
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Safer to start rich, and work lean. I would start with the stock rods.  Edelbrock recommends 2% per 1500ft elevation  - I worked it out, and the Carter 'steps' are about 2%.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Having original used metering rods can be a problem.  Measuring the used rods will assure you if they are what the specs say.  One of the things Walt’s book fails to address is what the used metering rods and jet combinations do to carburetor performance.  Adding new rods to used jets must be measured before you can assess what any changes may bring about.  The use of the new jets with NOS metering rods must again be evaluated to determine outcomes.  So, select new jets that are close to the original jet sizes then match the rods original or new.  Good luck!