rear end change

kamzack
kamzack Senior Contributor

I'd like to locate a rear end with a ratio of 3:53, 3:73 or whatever correct number is within a reasonable distance of middle Tennessee. I currently have 254 w/OD and 4:10 gear. While I'm told that's a good combo, I still want to lower engine rpms. I'd like for da 254 to cruise comfortably at 70-80mph instead of 60-65mph. I run 2:25 x75x15 tires and are a lower or shorter profile than oem 7:00 or 7:60x15 tire. (7:60 was an option). Makes speed read faster than actual. Changing speedo gear won't change rpms, that was suggested on another vehicle. I don't want to run bias ply for all the reasons we use radial tires.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Comments

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    what year is your car?
  • kamzack
    1950 Commodore
  • I have a 254 with o/d in my 46 and I put an early 70’s mustang v8 8inch rear in it. Measured backing plate to backing plate same. Takes same wheel pattern. Just had to angle the spring pads to match angled springs on Hudson. I put in a 2;78, but I’m going to change it to 3;53. These rear ends have a tag showing the ratio.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited May 2020
    I have a Ford 7.5 rear end in my 37 coupe, which looks to be a ranger rear end 1990-95 with a 3.45 ratio.  My brakes are drum 9” but 10” backing plates can be swapped on for larger 10” drum brakes.  9” have 3/4” wheel cylinders & 10” have larger 13/16”.   Later model Rangers have 8.8” diff & disc brakes if wanted to go that direction.  I have an open differential but limited slips can be found as well.  Axle housing diameter is 2.80 or a smidge larger.  Parking brake should hook up without issue.   Only thing to note is my diff is offset about 2” to the right.  

• kamzack

Thank you very much for info. Been leaning toward total swap but wheel bolt pattern and u-joint was question. Again thank you.

Kim

• kamzack

Please keep my info and let know.

hudsonbaker@myexcel.com

Kim