Rear end gear ratio

hudsonsplasher1
hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
Looking for opinion on 4-10 rear end with overdrive. Is this a good combo or would a higher gear work better?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Depends on what model you are talking about.   Works just fine in my Jet.  
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    4:10  was perfect on my 49 with Hornet power.  With your 8, will not win any stop light races but will be great on the ex way.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    4:10  was perfect on my 49 with Hornet power.  With your 8, will not win any stop light races but will be great on the ex way.
    That's really what I'm looking for. Thanks Ric.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    edited May 2020
    Depends on your terrain.  Here in the Adirondacks, My Commadore with OD works better with the 4:56.   If you're mostly flat, a 4:11 would work OK with OD.  My truck has a 212, standard with 4:11 and 16 inch tires and that works good for hauling
    .  I had a standard Hornet, no OD with a 3:58.  Nice combo.

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Depends on your terrain.  Here in the Adirondacks, My Commadore with OD works better with the 4:56.   If you're mostly flat, a 4:11 would work OK with OD.  My truck has a 212, standard with 4:11 and 16 inch tires and that works good for hauling
    .  I had a standard Hornet, no OD with a 3:58.  Nice combo.

I had a 49 Commodore with 262 , OD and 4:10 , was great except in Pennsylvania mountains, some of the long climbs lost speed , had to kick down to maintain speed and stop spark knock.. In Ohio I had no problems, good mileage , around 20 mpg. 

• I wish my Super 6 w OD and 4.11s would get better than 15mpg, runs perfect otherwise 
  • hudsonsplasher1
    Thanks everyone for your input.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I wish my Super 6 w OD and 4.11s would get better than 15mpg, runs perfect otherwise   Timing may be a little late

• Josh I checked at the time I got it running last year and it was dead on, don’t have any ping. Possibly the vac advance is not working.