Rear End Noise

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
The rear end in my coupe is a Ford 7.5” most likely out of a Ford Ranger.  As I was going through the rear brake system I happened to spin the axle & hear a sound.  Unfortunately I don’t know if it’s a normal sound or a bad sound and I’m hopeful someone can help me diagnose it.  

The differential is an open diff & the noise is the same at both sides of the car & at the diff too.  I’m not sure if noise is traveling or if there could be multiple issues since she hasn’t been driven in 20 years.  I did brace each side separately & 90% of the noise goes away & the driveshaft spins, but I still hear a tiny bit of the noise & feel it too.  Finally, 2 weeks ago I had the diff cover off to clean & check it out.  There wasn’t any unusual or excessive wear & everything felt fine.  

Here is a link to the video I uploaded to YouTube.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    How does it sound on the road?  You are probably worrying about nothing.  
  • BigSky
    I wish I could say how it sounds on the road, but she’s just not there yet.   I’ve had her almost 20 years & never driven her since she had a weak clutch & I at the time wasn’t sure what direction I was going with her.   I was really hoping to be driving her by now but I’m still on the uphill learning curve with no mentor nearby.  A lot of “errors” in the trials & setbacks are many but I’m still plugging along & hopeful she may be on the road this summer.  Thus, I’m hoping I’m worrying about nothing!!!

One side axle does move in/out & up/down  more than the other but I’m afraid I’ve no “feel experience” to make a judgement. 
  • BigSky
    I measured in/out play on drivers side at 0.026” & passengers side at 0.016”.   
  • BigSky
    I checked up/down & sideways & had less than in & out of either axle, very minimal.  I even put a tire on & bar underneath to see how that felt & again very minimal.  

Having had this old girl sitting for almost 20 years I was also thinking the bearings down by the wheels maybe somewhat dry so I jacked up each side of the axle to create a gravity feed of gear oil to each wheel bearing with turning of the axle but it made no difference.  

Just had my daughter spin the axles as I listened to each side & the pumpkin again.  It sure sounds like the noise is more pumpkin than right side.  The left side & pumpkin are very close but honestly I’m starting to think it’s in the pumpkin.