Hornet Clock converted to quartz movement

Has anyone had a good experience with a vendor to convert a Hornet  clock to a quartz movement? If so, please provide the vendor  contact info. Thanks

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    How about repairing a Hornet clock back to where it works as it did when new?  If that is of interest let me know as I can do that.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    Not to dismiss your ability to repair these clocks but couldn't a local watchmaker clean and repair the windup clocks as is the style in my 47 pickup glovebox trim?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It's not just the clockwork mechanism, but the electro-magnetic winding device that goes bad, as well. 

It's not terribly difficult to get into the clock and clean the points (or re-solder a wire that's become disconnected), but it would take a great deal of time for an amateur to do so (and when finished, he may still not have the problem solved).   And a watchmaker might never have dealt with the old style self-winding car clocks. 

However, if someone has repaired these clocks before, he knows exactly what to look for and how to fix it, very quickly.  The amateur or the clockmaker may be fooling around with the thing for weeks.  Time is money.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    I think i seen an add for clock repair and conversions to quartz movement in Hemmings  under services 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I had a spare clock which was worn out, so I cut the mechanism out and fitted a $2 shop quartz unit inside the housing and trimmed the hands down to fit.  Nobody has ever noticed.  You can take the second hand off if you don't like it flicking every second.   I change the battery about once a year.  I could probably fit a resistor and wire it to the cars electrics.  Only down  side is you can't change the time from the front.  The cost of overhauling an original clock is out of all proportion  to the value.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I have used these guys for different clockworks.  I had them do a Studebaker Hawk conversion to quartz.

http://clockwks.com/The_Clock_Worx.html

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Another "fix" (if you want to keep it original) is to look through the car flea markets for a similar clock and salvage the guts from that.  Many of these clocks (regardless of car marque) were made by the George W. Borg Company and the insides were identical.  I bought a Buick clock (about 1937-38) that was physically damaged but had its internals, at a flea market.  Took the cover off and everything inside was he same as mine.  I kept my clock face and hands (and probably the actual clockwork) but used the electric winder from the Buick clock.  I think it needs the points cleaned now, but it's run fine for years, and cost me very little to fix.
  • Ricko
    Ricko Member
    Thanks for suggestions - I checked 2 online places earlier - can't do quartz this old. I will check clockworks tomorrow. Interesting idea to transplant and trim to fit!