Vintage (Automotive) Hand Tools

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser
edited April 2020 in HUDSON
Many of us when working on our Hudsons probably use hand tools that have a bit of age to them.  If you've ever wondered about the history of your particular Craftsman, Hinsdale, New Britain, etc., ratchet set, open end wrenches or needle nose pliers then you'll definitely want to check out the website, Alloy Artifacts.  http://alloy-artifacts.org/index.html

This is a fascinating, on-going study of mostly American hand tool manufacturers.  The site is loaded with histories of hand tool companies, many now long gone or merged into present day tool firms.  There are plenty of detailed photos of all sorts of hand tools to view that help provide when and where a certain tool or set of tools was forged.   Information from old tool catalogs, patent numbers and tool company logos are often used for the detective work performed by this website.  

I find the section on Sears Craftsman (and the old economy Sears brand, Dunlap) to be particularly interesting as many of us have these tools.  Sears really never made it known who manufactured their impressive line-up of hand tools, but Alloy Artifacts uses research that shows who was a major beneficiary for manufacturing Craftsman tools for Sears especially after WWII.

So, if you've ever wondered about the Plomb, Proto, Challenger, Fleet, and Penens relationship or why Indestro, Wizard and Montgomery Wards tools often look the same, you'll want to check out this vintage hand tool website.  

Comments

• 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Broke several craftsman tools this past weekend working on my diesel. Found out that Lowes won't exchange the older craftsman tools. I called the Craftsman customer service department and they told me that I needed to go to a Sears which are dwindling fast and all closed right now..
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Great site!  Craftsman was our family's go-to tool for 3 generations.  However, the knucklehead that bought them out is an idiot and has no idea what he had.  Totally ruined the brand with Chinese junk.  Most of my Craftsman stuff is still US-made, but some Chinese stuff crept into the toolbox about 10 years ago.  They also made some awesome woodworking tools for sure.  The last Sears Hardware woodworking tools were not even Harbor Freight quality.  Definitely a loss of an American icon, kind of like Hudson.
  • railknight
    edited April 2020
    ACE Hardware stores are still open in my area and they sell Craftsman tools so you may want to check with them for a possible exchange.   Don't be surprised if the quality of the replacement tool isn't as good as the one that broke.  I recently purchased from ACE a couple of 1/4" ratchet sets for $10.00 each (metric and SAE).  The ratchet itself just doesn't seem to have the strength of the old Craftsman =V= 1/4 ratchets (Moore Drop Forgings, Springfield, MA) from years ago.  In fact, I had to return one set because the reverse mechanism didn't function right and the clerk who took my exchange said I was the third person to return a ratchet set for the same reason in the past four days.  
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    I had a friend in high school in the late 60's who's dad was a MAC dealer.  I bought 1/4" & 3/8" ratchet sets from him that were big money for me back then.  Both in nice metal cases. About 4-5 years ago the 1/4" ratchet was getting tired and wouldn't reverse.  I emailed MAC.  They replied with an address to send it to and said they would inspect it.  About three weeks or so later a new one showed up in the mail with a note saying the old one could not be repaired as the design had been changed and they no longer made or had those parts.  The new one is very nice and fits in the case just like the old one.  Since then I've taken to Ebay looking for older MAC or Snap-On tools if I should need something.  I have also collected many Craftsman tools over the years but noticed a decline in quality 10 or so years ago.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Craftsman was purchased by Black and Decker corporation.  The manufacture of the Craftsman brand tools will return to the USA.  Manufacturing will commence in Fort Worth Texas once the new plant being built there is completed. 
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I broke an old Craftsman 1/2 ratchet (USA made) last week working on my sons 1962 M43 Army Ambulance. I took it to Lowes, and they exchanged it, no questions asked. The replacement is Chinese, but it works. Maybe I got a more seasoned Lowes employee?
  • railknight
    edited April 2020
    eBay is a great place to look for old hand tools especially if you're looking for one or a few pieces to complete, say, an old socket set.  Don't overlook garage sales, 2nd hand stores, flea markets and even antique shops/malls for locating old hand tools at attractive  prices.  Last year I bought for $8.00 at a local flea market an early 1960s Challenger/Penens (Schiller Park, IL) 1/2" drive ratchet/socket set with its original metal case all in very good condition.    

Glowplug, you're right.  Stanley Black & Decker is indeed building a new Craftsman tool manufacturing plant in Ft. Worth.  Expected to be completed by the end of the year (2020).  It'll be 425,000 square feet large and employ five hundred full time workers making ratchets, sockets, wrenches and general sets.
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    I have the older craftsman from 60's-70's and the newer tools have always felt 'different' in hand, as maybe ever so slightly thinner/lighter.  I also prefer the older finish which is not so polished and chromelike.  Just my preference.  And yard sales can be a good source of the older items
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Recently purchased 3 US made Vice Grip pliers for the princely sum of 20 dollars.  All were in good shape and worked properly.  
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Still have to be cautious with Craftsman tools going forward.  When Stanley Black & Decker bought the Craftsman brand from Sears Holdings Corp. in 2017 the deal let both companies continue making and selling products under the Craftsman label.  With that you'll have to look at the packaging for the country of manufacture.
  • I bought a Craftsman big set 15 years ago and have had no issues, but last fall I bought another set similar to it from Lowe’s and I’ve had to warranty both ratchets twice, one socket and the universal joint. Not impressed at all. I also bought top and bottom boxes and the quality of those is dismal compared to a set I bought in the 90’s. Very cheap
  • oldcarnut
    oldcarnut Expert Adviser
    Bought my Craftsman tool box and tool  set in 1958 right out of high school. Some sockets and ratchets have been replaced over the years, but most hand wrenches are still in use.

Chuck