Throwout bearing seal breakage

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
Other than being old, is there any particular reason for the seal on the throwout bearing to break off in small chunks?  The last two throwout bearings that I've removed from my Hudsons have about a third of the seal missing.  I'm wondering if there is a problem with how they were installed in the pressure plates or if I should be looking for a defect in the pressure plate.  

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Most likely they were folded back on installation.  the only way to properly install a transmission is to  have studs in the block and sit the tranny on these as you  feed it into the clutch.   Install the throw-out bearing first, don't try and manoeuvre it in as you push the transmission home.   
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Geoff's reply is dead on. Sounds like an install issue. I made up some studs and cut slots in one end so they can easily be removed with a screw driver when the other mounting bolts are in place. Also do the same with other trans installs.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Kdancy, could you post a picture of what you are describing?  I'm having a hard time visualizing what this would look like.  
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited April 2020
    Its basically 2 longish bolts without heads that screw into the 2 top bell housing bolt holes. Make one bolt 1" or so longer than the other.
    The bolts act as guide rails so the gearbox slides in true without damaging the seal.
    All being well the guide bolts should unscrew by hand once the gearbox is home, but grind a pair of plier flats for just in case.
    This is must for Hudson gearbox installs but it is also a very useful trick on for other brands. 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Ok. I have used the two bell housing bolts method to remove and replace the transmission for years.  I just didn't understand that was what Kdancy was talking about.  
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor

• 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    good idea even for more modern cars, instead of letting all the weight be on the input shaft and your chest/stomach as you lay under the car installing the transmission