A guy found something interesting in his oil pan...

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
edited April 2020 in HUDSON
Here's a discussion at the AACA Forum by a guy who has a 308 in his Hudson pickup, cleaned out the oil pan, and found something there which he can't identify!

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/343580-1954-hudson-6-cylinder-308/

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Posting author and I have discussed this and the pieces are identified.  A plan of action to inspect the engine and repair as needed has been discussed. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Actually I  think they are parts of the leaf type springs that go behind the  oil ring in the third groove.  these exert outward pressure on the cylinder wall to  help wipe oil off    
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The mystery is how did they get in the sump?   
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    From the AACA forum post.........
    "Looks like I can see these same rings in other pistons when looking up from the oil pan. They are above the connecting rod and below the top of the piston. Looks like they fit in a groove."

It looks like the broken pieces are something that was fitted to the inside of the piston.

I have no idea of the purpose of a spring steel gizmo fitted inside the top of a piston above the gudgeon pin, possibly it was a go faster or save oil or save fuel item back in the day. Interesting.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    it is common practice to have spring steel expanders in the third groove, to keep the scraper ring in tight contact with the bore for good oil dispersal.   Modern versions do not contact the back of the groove, but are self expanding inserts, with the ends butted together.