brake drums

Can someone tell me what the maximum brake drum is on a 48 step down Hudson? I have looked over 4 drums and can not find it stamped anywhere.

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Stamping minimums and maximums on brake parts is a relatively recent development, it started maybe 30 years ago. Before that you relied on your own judgment, advice from the brake shop or the depth of your pocket.
  • that was what i thought. 11 inch drums would go .060 over. Thanks Ken. Is there any problem with removing the cold rivets from the drums and hubs?
  • just asking. When the drums are out of spec, are they replace as a unit? the drum and hub? I ask a lot of questions when it is something that I'm not familiar with. I wrote a bit on Off Topic, about what i think, as a retired mechanic and shop owner.

• Thanks Ken.

I'll have the two drums that i have, mic to make sure that the drums are good. The housing that i replaced was butchered. I got a good one from Ron Falk last year. i used the axle nuts from the butchered housing on the new housing

The drums were loose with no key ways in either of them. The hubs are in great shape, and the drums appear to have the inner lip like they were never turned.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited April 2020
    If you need a drum or multiples, contact The Falk’s in Nebraska. Or Al Saffrahn in Arizona.  
    Try my website https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/
  • I'm talking to both men on a regular basis. i am purchasing a lot of the parts missing from my project car from both of them