What rims are interchangable with 51 Hudson Commodore

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Sorry, newbie here. Looking for rims. Wondering what other makes of cars have rims that would fit my 51 Hudson.

Comments

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    HI WILL YOUR BASIC HUDSON WHEEL WILL FIT A FORD PRODUCT A CHRYSLER PRODUCT A PACKARD A NASH ALL HAVE THE SAME BOLT PATTERN THE WHEELS ON MY 50 PACEMAKER CV ARE A NEW WHEEL MADE BY Wheel Vintiques IN CA THEY ARE 15" X 6" WIDE

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/50hudsonpcvrestobaby.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1621
  • Your bolt pattern is 5 lug by 4 1/2 " . Many Ford and Chrysler products use that pattern. As for width I wouldn't go any wider than 6" as they do become difficult to remove from the rear. I have 215/75/15 radials mounted on 6 1/2 rims, on my 54 Hornet. Lou Cote
  • Laurie wrote:
    Sorry, newbie here. Looking for rims. Wondering what other makes of cars have rims that would fit my 51 Hudson.

The specific EXACT replacement rims for your car interchange with only two other manufacturers. While it is true that Mopar and Ford type rims will work, the clips for hubcap retention are not quite the same. If that dosen't matter to you you're fine. The two other car companies that had an exact fit were Nash and Kaiser-Frazer. Keep in mind to that you could run into convertible rims which are a bit wider than standard rims All 48-54 stepdown rims interchange although,the 54 rim was a bit different around the valve stem hole. In 54, a reenforcement plate was welded in as a result of having to do with the newer hubcaps cutting into the valve stem. The reenforcement patch was put on in an attempt to stop this. All rims were made by Motor Wheel Corporation., with the exception of the spoked Hudson rims ,which were made by Kelsey Hayes.
  • Greetings from Colorado!

Be careful with the Ford rims. The center hole on many of the wheels is not large enough to go over the flange on the brake drums. This stops the wheel from sitting flat against the drum. Been there, done that....

Someone posted a while back that if you specify a 1969 Roadrunner as the vehicle type that you will get a wheel that will fit.

George T.
  • Also note that the center hub hole diameter on the Ford rims is SMALLER than the Mopar wheels, so be careful when you're using the Fords on anything but a Ford.
  • Also note that the center hub hole diameter on the Ford rims is SMALLER than the Mopar wheels, so be careful when you're using the Fords on anything but a Ford.

100% right. The 60's Ford rims had smaller centers as well as those off of the V8 Mustang platform such as the Falcon and small Fairlane (before 1970). By using the Ford or Chrysler wheels, you have more choices in widths and offsets. I am currently using a set of 15X6 Dodge Polara wheels (police/severe use wheels) and they clear without problems.:D
  • Does anyone still monitor this site?
  • This site has a lot of activity... This post hasn't seen any activity for 13 years.
This discussion has been closed.