Removal of 1950 radio

A new member of our chapter has bought a 1950 Commodore Eight with a non-working radio.  He's fairly adept with old cars but he's stumped as to how to remove the radio.

Could someone offer a step-by-step procedure?  Is there a hidden bracket or wing bolt that he's failing to see, up there under the dashboard?

Once he gets it out, are there any "common maladies" he can check for? The radio wasn't used much (the car was seldom driven) so maybe something rather simple has gone wrong.

Comments

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    edited April 2020
    Jon, there is a bracket up behind the dash that the radio is supported by - just one small bolt into the radio frame. Remove aerial and the power wire which is a bayonet type fitting for the fuse. Then the two screws from the front that are behind the centre dash garnish piece that needs removing first (and the knobs obviously). The radio is a tight fit to remove but will slide down the back - just careful not to catch on parts the wiring loom that may get in the way.
    I have a local valve radio man that gave mine a service and fixed a couple of issues. Goes well now. While it is out, check the station selector mechanism is free and working as it should. 
    Good luck.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Thank you, Ernie, I'll pass this along!
  • If you cant find anyone to repair the radio, I have repaired them at a tubes only radio repair club. let me know because we are to meet as soon as cov19 clears.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    if you want to your Hudson radio referbed right Steve Engel is the go to guy.  He is in the HET mag.  Used him to do both Hudson and brand-X radios for me and always does a superb job and stands behind his work.