Headlamp lens

2»

Comments

• Hope these photos help some  ?
    Does anyone know where i can get replacement springs and tabs ?

• email at , dklimoman@gmail.com 
    Danny 

• This is the  Headlamp glass that is for 1935 Terraplane 
  • see see the cork we used for reflector 
  • see the cork that we used for the deflector rim 

• email please at 
    dklimoman@gmail.com
    Danny 
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    That will be a good looking car when done
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor

Danny,  

I purchased the replacement gaskets and spring clips from Don Axelrod.  The actual springs were in good stead and reused.  Don told me to put the ends of the gasket at the bottom of the reflector with a slight opening between the ends.  This in case there is condensation in the reflector it will drain out the bottom.  He told me to remove the old gasket, push the reflector in slightly near each spring clip, grab the spring clip with needle nose pliers and pull them straight out.  Takes a pretty good pull to get them out. Two of the original spring clips had broken leaves on them most likely from previous service work in the past.  I ground a drift the width of the groove in the reflector to push the spring clips back in during reassembly.  Again, takes a good push to get them back in.  

I'll be taking them apart within the next month or so as I purchased LED headlights, parking lights and tail lights.  I'll post pics and maybe videos when I do.  In the attached PDF, S2-47 is the spring clip.  

My car is equipped with the Stabilite head light buckets and CB-314 lenses.  From what I've found these were used on the Canadian cars.  I've never been able to determine if my car was assembled in Canada.  There is no marking on the serial number plate to indicate this.  I know the car was originally purchased new in Philadelphia, PA by my wifes great uncle.  Being my car is the Special G model which was the enter level / cheapest model it could be Hudson used these for reasons unknown.  

Tom

• Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the info, highly appreciate it.
    I've actually dealt with Don Axlerod some 5 years ago when my the body shop broke my headlight glass not knowing how to remove.
    Anyway, are their 3 of these clips in each headlamp ?
    And the ones you show look like the exact ones i have and would like to purchase.
    Also i would like the springs.
    Is DA the only person who you know of to buy these from ?
  • 35 Terraplane
    Yes there are three springs and clips for each bucket.  
    As far as I know DA is the man for head light parts. 
    I don't know if he has the springs as I didn't need any.
    The new clips needed a little love to make them work as what I call the bulb end was slightly larger than the originals.  I'm thinking I just squeezed the bulb slightly.  
    I practice fit the clips to the lugs in the bucket before assembling the reflector to the bucket.
    I tamped the gasket in after the reflector was in place.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    35 Terraplane, this is really handy info, thanks for sharing! I'm going to print out this thread and attachments for future reference, in case my '36 Terraplane needs headlight surgery in the future.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited May 2020
    Ya but. 36 and 37 both use the push pull and pray system same as the 34/5 but the innards were changed somewhat each year. A year or 3 ago on here I posted photos of 36 innards.

A quick look and here it is https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/171361/inside-a-30s-bullet-headlight#latest. Erroneously my title assumes all bullet headlights  are the same inside which I now know is not the case. The photos are of a 36 headlight.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Thanks Bob for the heads-up!
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    This thread re headlights has a life of its own - still continuing :)
  • 35 Terraplane

To be clear, everything I posted was related to my own experience with my 35 T Special G model equipped with the Stabilite head light buckets and CB-314 lenses.   The PDF I posted labeled Headlamp - Hudson 112 is one of two drawings in the master parts book and depicts what is installed on my car.  The other is labeled Headlamp - 1938 Hudson-Terraplane and is very different.   

I too was surprised at how many views the thread has gotten as well.  

Please excuse any confusion I may have created.

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    This thread re headlights has a life of its own - still continuing :)
    I'm sorry for being a party to prolonging it but it's a bit of a bugbear with me !  ;)

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Geoff said:
    The '36 headlamps have flat cork  gaskets, and it should be flush with the  edge of the  groove in the reflector.   When I said thicker, I meant restored to the original thickness.  Over a period of 84 years the cork for some reason has dried out   and shrunk somewhat!  The cork strip fits around the outer groove of the reflector, and the lens is located by  a raised circle  in the reflector.     I don 't know about '34  models, but with the correct thickness gasket I have no trouble slotting the  lens in and out.
    I'm about to cut new cork gaskets for my 36 headlights. The depth of the groove the gasket sits in, which also defines the gasket thickness is 3/32" or .094".
    Locally I can only find slightly thicker .118" (3mm) thick cork. 
    Will the thicker cork work OK? I'm thinking that it will but I'd appreciate hearing from those with experience.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Bob,
    My only experience is with the cloth tape gaskets of '34 headlights and that is - DON'T use a gasket that is too thick.
    The thickness of the gasket is critical to avoid stressing and breaking the lenses when installing them (as I did).
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited November 2020
    A few thoughts on the 1937 lenses:
    First:  I fabricated a cork gasket for my lenses by purchasing cork roadbed material from a model train shop.  This is basically cork sheet in 1/8" thicknesses, which I thcn slit into long strips of the necessary width to fit into the perimeter slot of the reflector.  The material has enough flexibility to allow it to be formed into a radius when laid flat, so I just used enough to fit around the reflector and then trimmed it neatly at the ends.  I was a bit concerned because the cork appeared to have flecks of rubber mixed in.  Rubber can tarnish silver. However, it's been 15-20 years since I installed the gasket, with no discernible effect on the silver plating.
    Second: I loosened the perimeter chromed (or stainless) ring around the opening in the headlight shell, and after loosening the retaining screw at the bottom of the shell, I actually remove the trim.  (This requires gently working my way around the perimeter from the bottom.)  This allows much more clearance between the glass lens and the the light shell, and the lens pops right out.  Not kosher, I realize, but it makes bulb changing a breeze.
    Finally: I recommend soldered ground wires on the sockets, headlamp relays, reflector re-silvering, and either LED or halogen headlamps.

I'm sorry, Geoff, you started this discussion by asking for 1936 lenses but I have none to offer!