Reality Check on stepdown Stainless

pseftoncomcastnet
pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
Trying to make sure I understand what's what with the stainless trim lower door and rocker stainless on stepdowns, in my case, a 1951 Commodore 4 DR sedan. Can anyone tell me what years interchange with those on my car? And do some years have painted trim rather than stainless that would fit?

Peter sefton

Comments

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Rocker stainless was the same on 51-53 Commodores and Hornets. The trim on the bottoms of doors and fenders would have been painted on your car, but stainless on earlier cars. They are interchangeable. The trim that runs down the middle of the doors to the porkchops are the same on 50-51Comodores (and 51 Hornets). The bottom door trim is being made but expensive.
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor
    thanks - this is very helpful.

peter s.
  • I thought the Commodore rocker trim was flat and the Hornet was triangle shaped. 
  • ski4life65
    I thought the Commodore rocker trim was flat and the Hornet was triangle shaped. 

99% sure it switched to triangle shape in 51 on Commodores. 51 Super was still flat though. Was flat on Commodores 48-50.
  • Ok, that sounds right thank you
  • Flat on 1951 and changed to triangle on 52.  My family had several 50, 51 and 52s and I worked on all of them.  My current 51 has flat trim that doesn't look like it had ever been off.  I know our 51 & 52s had painted lower door, fender & quarter trim.  I am not sure about 50.
  • ski4life65
    edited April 2020
    Fred
    Can you post a picture of your 51? I am still fairly confident rocker trim was triangle on 51 Commodores and flat on Supers. I have owned more than 50 Stepdowns and have not seen a 51 Commodore with flat rocker trim. Maybe early 51 production came flat? Hudson was famous for doing weird things, so "rules" were always changing.

• snowshoe90aolcom
    snowshoe90aolcom Expert Adviser
    My Commodore 6 convert. has the same trim that runs from the porkchop forward AND the trim that runs from under the chop and along the bottom of the door. It's the smaller Ogee type trim. The car came in pieces and I'm missing some of this small stuff but have at least one duplicate...I believe it's the left side "under the chop to the front door" piece. My '51 Hornet is the same except for the piece on the bottom of the door,fender, rear quarter(under the chop), it's the quarter round painted stuff. If anyone has any of the smaller pieces, I'd be interested.  Terry
  • snowshoe90aolcom
    snowshoe90aolcom Expert Adviser
    My C6 is a 1950.  Terry
  • I hate to show it closeup, the eighty's aftermarket side molding that was installed above the rocker panels in the past does nothing for the car.  The camera is soooo harsh!
  • My 51 Hornet Coupe rocket trim is triangle, my dad bought it in 1967 from the original family. 
  • My 49 C8 Conv Brougham is wide flat, 50 Super six is narrow on top of rocker and my 52 Hornet Hollywood is triangle.