Lettering at the tailgate

Will build a steel stamp to lettering a clean tailgate with „Hudson“
Can someone give me the exact Measurement from the lettering from a Pickup 1940? 

Comments

• Not sure how different the 46 tailgate lettering is from a 40, but here are the measurements for my 46 tailgate lettering in case it can help.

13" x 2" for the HUDSON lettering. Individual letters range between 1.5" & 1.75".

• Thanks, that will help
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    I believe these were reproduced by MAR-K in Missouri at one time in the 1980's  They may still be doing them or possibly have to dies in which to make more. 
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Truck tail gates are the same size  1940 / 1947
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    My 47 tailgate was a rusted piece of junk not salvageable.  The one I built to replace it will not have embossed lettering but I will have painted lettering with a different design and size.  Just my opinion but I thought the original was a little small for the tailgate dimensions
  • i will try to take a smooth tailgate from chevy 1946, my last truck. Could someone give me the dimension from the hudson tailgate. Length and height
  • longlivelance
    longlivelance Member
    edited April 2020
    Mine is a bit twisted and rough, so not positive if these are 100%. But i get 57 1/2" x 17 3/4" on mine.
  • Thanks, ooh there is a Chevy too small. Ok will wait till my car is in germany. I think i have to build an own tailgate
  • From what I have found other tailgates are too small. I’ve been considering making one for my truck as well. Good luck!
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    I will try to remember to take some photos of my in progress tailgate.  I used a tube at the top and bottom with a 14ga sheet metal attached to the tubes.  It is pretty simple if you have the correct dimensions.  Hopefully to post tomorrow
  • That would be awesome. I’m by no means good at metal work yet, but looking at the tailgate it seemed like a good project to try as a beginner. No curves and only right angle bends.
  • I think its not easy. Use a tube up and down is ok but only weld a sheetmetal between booth tube looks too simple. If you see pics from chevy tailgates there are a ramp from the tube to the plain sheetmetal. Between the ramps a stamped logo looks little bit better as only plain, for my opinion. 
    If my truck is in germany i will make lot of pics and share with you on this platform. How can i make an upload on this site?
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    Here are some pics of my as yet unfinished tailgate.  Dimensions are:  bed roll tubing is 1.125 id, 1.25 od, so about .065 wall thickness.  Bed height to top and bottom roll is 16 1/8", 57" wide with ends 1 1/4" deep with 3/16" flange.  The tailgate is 14ga cold rolled with the end flanges bent in a brake on each end.  IIRC Hudson rolled the top and bottom tubes like the bed rolls.  I think my solution was relatively simple.  Also I made two small angled strips to fill the space between the tailgate panel and the top and bottom tubes.  This wil eliminate debris, dirt and water from setting there leading to a potential rust problem
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

I know that there are a lot of BIY folks out there, but just so you know.  Kerry Johnson, Brigham City, builds one that is correct.  He is in the International Roster...

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser

I know that there are a lot of BIY folks out there, but just so you know.  Kerry Johnson, Brigham City, builds one that is correct.  He is in the International Roster...

Good to know. Glad Kerry continued to make them after Glen passed away.
  • I was not able to find a Kerry Johnson in the roster, or by googling. If anyone has contact info, I would appreciate it. If they are still making these tailgates I would be interested in one.

While I like to try and do things myself, I am learning as I go, which at times is cost prohibitive when you don't have the tools you need.

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    I guess it is actually Cary, not Kerry. I just looked in the roster and it is there
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    As my truck is not stock as from the factory, it will look so to the general public but will be a modified street rod style.  Unseen in these photos is the bed which has been shortened approximately one foot, a little at both ends as well as the wheelbase is now about 118".  My goal has been to clean up some of hudson's imperfections.  An example is welding the cab back at the bottom to the floor pan instead of leaving a cutoff screwed together hack job as the factory did.  When done I will have invested about $50-75 in sheet metal work and materials.  Of course the labor is free as always