oil filter installation

Can anyone please send a photo of proper way to route oil filter lines for Fram oil filter installation on a 1954 308 twin H engine?

Comments

• I asked Larry at Clifford Performance,that very question. he advised me to change the oil every 3000 miles. He advised me to leave off that oil filter assembly off of my engine.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member

• Ricko
    Ricko Member
    You are now the 2nd person to tell me that - I will follow yours and his advice. Thanks

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

FYI

I was told that same thing (to eliminate the stock filter) back in the early 60's. A few guys have modified the Oil Pump to make a full flow system but its not readily available.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Why???   Surely even a by-pass filter is better than none?
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I know a fella that had a line rupture on his external oil filter- I wouldn't put one on just because it is another point of failure for a partial flow filter.
  • Like all things that wear with time and use, the oil lines need to be replaced from time to time.  Appropriate, oil-compatible materials need to be used.

The oil lines I used to replace my severely aged ones are 12" Long, 1/8" NPT thread (same as the ones used on 53-71 Jeep CJ Models).  The OMIX-ADA 17470.10 fits this need.  The line coming out of the base of the oil filter line seems long, but you can order a shorter one with the information I just provided.

• Also to consider when adding this oil filter system, make sure the fitting from the block has a restriction in it, I’m not sure how small, otherwise the engine won’t build enough oil pressure and you’ll loose a bearing quickly. Uh, I knew a guy that knew a guy that had that happen, ??
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    An fittings and braided stainless lines can be made to the length needed and will probably never malfunction.  Another option from rubber hose