302 Ford in a Hudson 1940?

Took look at a Pickup. Love these truck und is a must have for me. Ok Price is too high and i have lot of experience in customize. Think about if i cant get a truck i will build my own. Therefor i plan to modify a rusty 40 2dr Sedan in a pickup. Could i put a 302 Ford with AOD in front without big problems? Have anyone done this?

volker from germany

Comments

• There is plenty of room for that. I've seen big block Chevys in them.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Go for it... The Automatic Trans will require a different rear end Ratio like 3.30 or 3.50. The Rear in the '40 would feel like driving in low Range. Ford Mustang, Granada, etc, rear fit.
  • Have anyone a recommendation for an rear axle thats fit?

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    A dodge cornet 1966 fits perfect  i put on on my 1940 truck 
  •  Put a early 70’s mustang rear in my 46 pickup. Just had to angle the spring mounts to match the springs. Same wheel bolt pattern as the Hudson. Ford engine and trans. Might as well go with a Ford rear.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Better make sure you have room for a front oil sump.  That is why you don't see as many Fords in older conversions.
  • 50C8DAN please take a look at my avatar. Was an 36 4dr Humpback before i have started my work. Inside a 302 HO with separate 3 litre oil radiator because i know the problems with not enough oil in ford engines. Thx for the hint