Replacing Window Glass 1923 Hudson

Way too much time on my hands so into the restoration abyss I go. While replacing the interior what do I find

but a broken window!  Does anyone have any experience replacing one in a 1923 Hudson or similar?  Do I take

everything apart? Is there a source for parts like the window channel? I know it is time to replace them all with safety glass. See photo.

Robert

Comments

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Try: Vic’s Automotive Window Channeling, VicTor Zamora, P.O Box 1908, La Mirada Ca. 90637  (562) 947-5864 Voice Mail,   thez@verizon.net
    A fellow HET Club member & owner!!

• I talked to Vic.  He was at a loss to help me. Suggested a guy in Australia named Clark who has written articles for our magazine.  Have not found a way to contact him.
    Do you know who he is talking about?
    Robert
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Maybe he means Geoff Clark in New Zealand. He writes tech  articles for the WTN. Look him up in the roster.

• Will do Thanks
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    You could look in the club roster and ask what other members with early 20s cars have done. Or ask the Technical Adviser for the 20s cars. There are businesses still catering for old car restorations. Here is one in Australia. Not sure what you are looking for but its an interesting site to look at. 
     https://www.uesint.com/fitch-the-rubberman/
    http://www.oldera.com.au

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Are you able to dismantle the top of the door frame?  If so the window should be able to be removed out the top.   New channels are available form various sources.   A good source is Restoration Supplies: www.restorationstuff.com 
  • My door is 1922 and is solid wood on the top.  The later models had steel bodies and doors with a piece you could take out of the top. Not mine.  Think I might have to remove the side channel after I take the door apart. I am in contact with Jeff Mihalko with Restoration Specialties in PA.  Looks like he has a lot of channels but no experience with my type of door.
    Robert
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    rhurst said:
    My door is 1922 and is solid wood on the top.  The later models had steel bodies and doors with a piece you could take out of the top. Not mine.  Think I might have to remove the side channel after I take the door apart. I am in contact with Jeff Mihalko with Restoration Specialties in PA.  Looks like he has a lot of channels but no experience with my type of door.
    Robert
    Yours should be similar to my 17 Hudson. You'll need to take the trim and side panels off and then with window down pry the window channel loose. If you can take the channel out all the better, if not bring the window up and tilt the window inwards until you can pull it out with the riser channel intack. You'll need to disconnect the riser channel from the chain drive. Take the unit to a glass shop and have the use it for a pattern. Hope this makes sense. Sounds more difficult than it is.