36 terraplane ignition coil wire

My 36  T has a regular heavy gauge wire running from key switch to ignition coil. I've seen in some old liteture that it  ( and many other models) originaly had a wire incased in a metal sheath that attached to the coil.  Just wondering what was the purpose of the metal covering.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It was an anti-theft device.   The coil  wire was  inside the metal sheath, and was shorted to ground when  the key was removed, rendering it incapable of being hot-wired.  
  • Very interesting!  Thanks (as always) Geoff.  
  • I wonder if this type of ignition switch has ever been the cause of 'mystery' ignition problems, such as intermittent ignition failure.....or is this unlikely?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It was almost the cause of a fire in my Terraplane a few years go.  Evidently the insulation came off the wire within the sheath, and shorted out on the sheath while I was driving.  The car was filled with smoke, and when I turned the ignition key it was so hot I got burned.  In the end, Robbie Williams replaced the wire within the sheath and everything's been fine ever since.  However, people might want to replace that wire because the cloth insulation on those old wires is brittle, and it's an accident waiting to happen.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Wondering how to replace that wire without destroying the key switch?
  • When i got mine the key switch had been replaced and just a heavy gauge wire was run without the metal covering.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Jon, it's a well known fact, particularly in Britain, that the smoke that is injected into the wiring renders it  useless once it escapes.  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Geoff: only if it's made by Lucas.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    DanTheMan, it looks like someone is selling these on Ebay.  Not sure if any of them would fit your car, of course.  

• Jon, the encased wire in my 36T also shorted out near the coil....took me a bit to figure out what was going on, but the hot metal finally gave it away.  I fished a new wire through the cable and got things reattached at both ends, but can't remember the exact way I attached it to the key switch....there was some partial disassembly of the switch involved.
  • I think I'll leave mine the way it is without the metal sheath. Don't think there's much of a chance of someone hot wiring and stealing my Terraplane! LOL
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Yes, it's a major PITA to do it. Not sure it will work when it's all done. I would recommend either replacement or sending it to someone who does that job.