Single or double diaphragm brake booster

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
I am finally getting to the point of putting the disk brakes on my '54 and also updating the power brake unit.  I have never liked the Tredlevac unit and it needs to be either rebuilt or replaced.  I am planning to go with a modern power booster (I had said this a couple of years ago but did not get to it.  Now I have PLENTY of time!) I am looking at either a 7 in. single or double diaphragm unit.  It will be a tight fit widthwise regardless.  Has anyone else had experience with double vs. single? from what I have read, double is more efficient, but single is OK with disk/drums

Comments

• Here is info on Power Brakes I installed on my '53. Don't know if it is applicable to '54.
    BUT recommend seat belts ( including shoulder) if you install.
    https://goo.gl/photos/QEtE7t64Ebs53teC8  
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Thanks, Richard but my '54 came with power brakes and your unit is like a hydrovac using a remote booster.  The '54 Tredlevac was similar to the modern setups with the booster on the firewall.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Ive installed GM Power Booster on my Hudson's. The latest one was a 2004 Chevy Cavalier or Malibu with swing pedal.  I agree you need Seat & Shoulder Belts afterward...