Good progress made

barrysweet52
barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
Im happy the motor is almost finished and the body has primer. Hopefully be driveable soon. Barry

Comments

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Looking good!!
  • Val
    Val Member
    Looking Good Barry, keep at and you'll have it on the road in no time
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Sweet.   How about some more pics.   
  • barrysweet52

Have had a lot of people asking for info re my ‘car’. Thought I had better give a brief history of this rare 1924 Hudson.

Many years ago I was looking for a car to restore and came across this vehicle once used for surfing. It already had some long boards on top, so I had to buy it. Girlfriend and I were going to tour and surf around Australia, camping and sleeping in the back. I was told it is very comfortable, you dont hear any noise, its very peaceful, and no one would ever complain.

I have since found out that in the 30s a lot of big powerful USA cars were bought and converted to ambulances, fire engines and surfing wagons by Hope Body builders in Queensland, as well as a few other body builders. During WW2 a lot of USA soldiers visiting Australia saw these surfing wagons and this is what made surfing popular again in the US after the war.  It wasn’t the Beach Boys, it was these converted Australian Hudson surfing wagons that caused the new interest in surfing.

I have sent some photos of the surfing wagon to the editor of the WTN when we had a rally here last year. 6 USA HET members were present and they took a lot of photos, so sorry if you have seen them before.

• barrysweet52
    I thought there would be a few fun loving, cheeky club members who would keep this story going a little. Its almost a crime not to have a laugh April 1st.
  • ajet
    ajet Member
    Very interesting, The big Hudsons were popular transport vehicles during the US's "dry years" and the survivors in "the Grapes of Wrath" utilized a modified '29 to escape the "Dust Bowl" .

My Dad visited "down under" during the war. He was impressed buy some of your Ladies
    and  being a farmer, your livestock and "Stations".

I never thought to ask him about Surfing !  But he may have been there....

Thanks for the history, and progress on your project,   Berry ...   Bill

x
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Another big Hudson survivor in New Zealand (ex service car)
  • Spencer Yarrow
    Spencer Yarrow Expert Adviser
    These were taken on the Dorrigo range in New South Wales Australia