Removing inside door handle 1923 Hudson

In the process of changing the side panels and need to remove the inside window handle.
It looks like there may be a tiny pin that goes through the inner ring that holds the handle on.
Do I need to drive the pin out to remove the handle?  Any help would be appreciated.
Robert

Comments

• Yes there is a small pin with a head on one end. So it will only go one way out. Be very careful as the handle is pot metal and can break away. They are prone to break around the pin hole closest to the door panel as there isn't much metal around the hole. 
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Make one of these
  • Ken,
    How can you tell which end has the head on it?
    Maybe I need to add a photo so you can see what I am looking at.
    Robert
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Make one of these
    Looks exactly like the one I made for the same job on my 28

• If the pin was put in correctly it the head should face up pointing down to the floor. However who knows what happened since it was new. I'd use a small punch and test the pin on both directions... It should move and slip out. Unfortunately it's like replacing a headlight lens... After doing it once it becomes easy.... Its just the first time trying is scary not wanting to break something cheers ken 
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Use the tool and you will be able to see the head of the pin, if there is one. Ive found pins replaced with nails etc. Loose pins could fall out when you use the tool
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Do you use the tool to straddle the handle and push on the door card?
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    y
    Do you use the tool to straddle the handle and push on the door card?

yep
  • Not getting anywhere with the pin removal. Don't want to break it.
    Maybe the photo will help identify the problem
  • 40indianssgmailcom
    40indianssgmailcom Senior Contributor
    I would think the pin is in the hidden part of the crank that is behind the brass escutcheon.  Place the tool between the handle and the brass escutcheon to reveal a pin into a probably square shaft
  • Mystery solved.  The brass piece between the door and handle unscrews and is in two pieces.  There was no pin to release it.  I just unscrewed it. See photos