Wanted, 1920’s Super Six coupe or roadster

2»

Comments

• Wow!
    its really going to clean up nicely.
    The Firestones and wheels look great but I have no excuse to put whitewalls on it!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Rusty, I don't know if you're aware of this, but the Essex has a dashboard indicator showing engine oil level.  The gasoline level gauge has a dual function, and shows the oil level when a button is pushed.  Hudson products had neat little "extras" like this, over the years.
  • rusty_apache
    rusty_apache Member
    edited July 2020
    Jon B said:
    Rusty, I don't know if you're aware of this, but the Essex has a dashboard indicator showing engine oil level.  The gasoline level gauge has a dual function, and shows the oil level when a button is pushed.  Hudson products had neat little "extras" like this, over the years.
    Thanks for pointing it out. 
    That is one of the features that convinced me to hold out for a 1929. That and the art nouveau motif in the instrument panel and coach hardware. 

Hopefully operating in the crank case is a better environment for a sending unit than the fuel tank. 

Do they typically clean up and function? 
  • I just registered here because this morning I ran across a 1929 Essex rumble seat coupe in barn fresh condition on Craigslist. Best I can tell from the photographs, it is complete, but it looks to have spent at least a few years outdoors. The roof leaked and the upholstery is missing but not the seat frame. The owner tells me it has a title and ran when parked in their warehouse five years ago. The paint it present but faded in places and the bodywork is very straight with no wood rot. It’s going to cost me 11,000 to purchase and ship 1,400 miles to South Texas. $9,500 if I fetch it myself. My sense is that it’s low mileage but that has yet to be confirmed. I only want to freshen it up and enjoy it it less than concours condition. 

Seems if I wait a little longer and pay just a little more I might find something even nicer and closer to home. I have driven antique vehicles exclusively 40 years and have never paid this much for anything and never sight unseen, so as much as I want to pull the trigger on it, I have much trepidation about it.

Does anyone have advice or possibly a comparable example for sale closer to Texas? 
    I am seeking an unmodified coupe or roadster with a six cylinder so I can at least outrun “most” model A Fords and not be mowed down on surface roads. 
    Thanks in advance for any helpful advice....

• Marius
    Marius Member
    edited October 2020
    here is mine paid 15k fully restored except for the motor

• Marius said:
    here is mine paid 15k fully restored except for the motor

That is beautiful. 

Here’s the one I decided on.
    Its a survivor so I am just replacing wear items as needed to preserve it while showing it’s age.