Clutch problem

JasonNCJasonNC Posts: 893Expert Adviser
I was having trouble adjusting the clutch on a 48 Commodore.  I couldn't get it to adjust out far enough to allow for changing gears when the motor was running without grinding.  The last attempt ended in the clutch going to the floorboard and staying there when I pushed the clutch pedal down.  It's like the pressure plate has given up the ghost as there is no pressure on the cross pedal (with the rubber tips) that releases the throw out bearing.  Any ideas as to the cause will be greatly appreciated.  

Comments

• GeoffGeoff Posts: 3,761Senior Contributor
    Sounds like the taper pin holding the  yoke to the shaft is sheared, or the one holding the pedal hub to the shaft.
  • JasonNCJasonNC Posts: 893Expert Adviser
    Geoff, I'm not understanding what you mean by "the yoke to the shaft" as I'm unclear as to what shaft are you referring to.  Is it the shaft that goes from the adjusting rod to the transmission?  
  • bob wardbob ward Posts: 1,094Senior Contributor
    The pins Geoff is referring to connect the clutch actuating yokes (the 'ears' with the rubber tips or the ears it pushes on) to either the cross shaft from the pedal or the cross shaft within the bell housing.
    The other possibility is that clutch throwout fingers within the bell housing have sheared their taper pins.

• GlowplugGlowplug Posts: 1,907Expert Adviser
    These are locations where pins are used to secure components to shafts used to release clutch. 
    Thank you Glowplug, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.  I had the  pin shear off on my '39 H CC8 many years ago.   Very difficult to replace, as you have to drill a hole in  the  housing to get access to the  small end of the pin.  
    Geoff 
  • GlowplugGlowplug Posts: 1,907Expert Adviser
    Just another thought,  if the spring is disconnected, broken or the frame anchor tab came out the pedal goes to the floor!
  • Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Posts: 3,772Senior Contributor
    If you adjust the clutch linkage clevis out too far, this can make the clutch pressure plate fingers go over-centered and they  will lock in the over centered position and this will take pressure off the rubber pads like you are seeing.

• JasonNCJasonNC Posts: 893Expert Adviser
    Ken, if you are correct, what is the solution to this problem? (Two other people I talked to outside of this forum mentioned the "over centered" theory.)  
    Get in and have a look.  It should be staring you in  the face.
  • Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Posts: 3,772Senior Contributor
    May have to pull transmission off and then try pulling the fingers out. If the the gears are clashing even though the pedal is all the way down and the adjustment all the way out, have you checked that the finger heights are correctly set on the pressure plate? Also , is the pilot bearing in the flywheel spinning freely? Also make sure the splines on the clutch input shaft are free of burrs and do not have a slight spiral twist to them.