37 terraplane

Looking for a hood prop of some kind to hold the hood upfor show.  Any ideas on what to use or where to buy one.
THANKS  Ron 

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I have one of these on my '37:

They are fairly common in the hot rod world.  The long piece clamps across your radiator support rods, no drilling necessary.  The end pieces swing out to provide a rest on which your two hood sides can sit.  It doesn't really raise the hood that much, but you can look into the engine from either side.  They are available from several places, one of which is this: https://www.roadstersupply.com/Hot-Rod-Hood-Prop-Kit-Un-Polished-p/rsc-62248.htm
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Yup, did the same thing on my 36!
    Works great.
  • whip
    whip Member
    THANKS GUYS---It looks good to me and I just ordered one.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    The only use I've ever had for a golf club was to cut the club end off and to use the shaft as a perfect hood stay.  :D
    (Hat tip to Duke Marley for the idea)
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2020
    Fogey:  I have a "Marley prop" on my '37 as well, raises the hood way higher than the brackets I suggested (above)!  The "sharp end"  anchors securely where the radiator support rod bolts to the firewall.  Duke's approach to golfing is obviously the same as mine!
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    If you put a rubber handgrip off another club on the cut end, a golf club makes an even cooler stay!

Jon - I think I met you at the 1995 HET National. That was thanks to an invite from Duke Marley to come over to the US and to discover the Hudson scene.
  • whip
    whip Member
    Ok guys I am going from the front to the back what do use to hold the heavy trunk lid up.  Or can you find an original one that still works.  THANKS  You guys are great.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2020
    Sounds like you're looking for the trunk lid support arms, which should have come with the car.  (You didn't mention which body style you have, for the arms may be different for each type body.)  I can't recall if some trunks have one, and others have two.  They will look like this Chevy one, from the same era (but the Chevy one isn't interchangeable as far as I know).

Here is a photo of a '37 with open trunk, you can see the arm fully extended.  This one has only one arm, but other body styles might have two. 

Best way to find one would be to get the names of several vendors who normally advertise in the WTN, and e-mail them with your needs.  Many of these guys have piles of used hardware from miscellaneous Hudsons, but they won't be able to tell, just by looking, which one fits your car.  So if you have one (even if unusable) take a photo and take some measurements, and send it all in the e-mail.

In fact, you might try Gregg Maroney, he knows a lot about '37's and you never know, he might have a trunk support for sale.  Here is a link to his website: http://hudsonterraplane.com/ForSale/hudsonparts.html
  • whip
    whip Member
    Thanks Jon for your reply and I emailed Gregg but haven't heard back yet.  I appreciate the pictures as that helps.