Lubricants for my 1937 Hudson Terraplane

In going through my owners manual I found several lubrication requirements but I'm not able to determine what products are correct. Here is what I need to know.

The throw out bearing needs to be lubed every 1,000 mile with viscous chasis lube … is that grease? How do I access the throw out bearing without dropping the tranny?

Hudosnite clutch compound is required every 5-15K …. where do I get that? how do I get to it without dropping the tranny?

Rear axel requires checking often and filling with SAE 160 EP … where do I get that and what brand?

Front axel reservoir fill every 1K mile … with what and what brand?

Steering gear housing to be filled with 160 EP gear oil at all times, Change fluid every season … where do I get that and what brand?

What do I fill the spring and shock absorber reservoir with? and what brand?

Brake reservoir keep 1/2 full … with what fluid? what brand?

I'm thankful for any information you can give!

Jim Wiltse

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Get an owner's manual.  Lube chart is in back, shows how much, what type, where to put it.  You can probably download a manual from the Club Library online.  They are usually available from old car literature sellers.

Throwout bearing has a lube fitting nearby, I think it's on the side of the transmission.  Regular chassis grease

Hudsonite: use 1/3 pint.  Doug Wildrick sells it in bottles, in the proper amount.  Some people use ATF but there is a specific type.  Someone will tell you.

I'd just use regular weight axle / transmission oil -- 80-90, or whatever.  I would recommend using a "GL-4" rated gear oil, though. It is less corrosive for "yellow metals" like bronze and brass.  Some of the internal parts may be yellow metals.

I've never heard of a front axle reservoir.  If you mean grease fitting, then just use regular chassis grease.

For the steering gear I use a very heavy oil (I've forgotten what, but I think it was for a Model A steering gear and is like molasses) because my gear leaks and heavy oils don't leak as easily as light oils.

None of the shocks I've ever used, have been refillable.  If you're asking this question then you have the original shocks.  Try to obtain a complete shop manual.  There is no spring reservoir that I know of.

Brake fluid: try to find out what the last owner used.  Standard is DOT 3 but DOT 4 is improved (though you really shouldn't mix them).  DOT 5 is silicone, absorbs less water but you don't use that unless you have first cleaned out the entire brake system.  (I use DOT 5 in my '37 because I figure it won't absorb water and corrode the system).  Fill the reservoir to just below the cap.  Half full is the minimum.

I don't know if you're in the Club or not but if not, you might want to consider joining because there's a lot of resources here and you will find lots of people with cars like yours, that you can lean on for advice.  https://www.hetclub.org/

• thx a million Jon … this really helps
  • and I am a member