WTB - Tranny top & Shifter

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I’ve got an electric hand on my coupe and both the pin on top of tranny is chipped, as well as the removable shifter.  Thus I am looking for those items but if I can’t find them then I need a standard trans top & shifter.

Comments

• BigSky
    This is the broken piece from the top of the tranny & the broken shifter lever that slips on top of the tranny piece.  

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Would I assume that your Electric Hand is not working, and you have been using the emergency shift lever?  In that case I would definitely look for the standard (permanent) lever, and just bolt it to the top of the transmission, and be done with the problem.  When you remove the Electric Hand emergency floor shift transmission cover, you can then take it to a welder and have the "nub" built up and the slot re-milled, so it's ready to install when you have the Electric Hand back up to snuff.
  • I have a '37 Hudson 8, with electric hand that is working. I was wondering if there is any disadvantage to turning EH off and using the "emergency" shift lever full time.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    My understanding is that it's harder to shift because you are working against the linkages and vacuum cylinders that would normally run the system.  Plus, you are putting a stress on the very parts that Big Sky is talking about.  The plug-in emergency shift lever was designed for just that: an emergency.  Not for everyday use, day in and day out.  I have seen old, junked Hudsons where the emergency shift lever was actually welded to the "nub" on the transmission -- probably by someone who'd attempted to use it for everyday use (decades earlier) and discovered that it eventually broke off.

And anyway, if your Electric Hand unit works, why not keep it working?  It's unique to Hudson (and Cord!), and it makes your car interesting.  If it's malfunctioning you might want to look it over and find the problem.  Probably a case of bad wires or corroded contacts in the switches.  The shop manual has a whole section on this, and every once in awhile one of the test devices pops up for sale.
  • BigSky
    I’m actually not sure the electric hand is working or not.  When I bought her almost 2 decades ago it worked but the clutch slipped so badly I never drove her farther than a block before she was parked.  Over the last 2 years I’ve been working on getting her ready for the road but with the engine setback around a year ago I just haven’t gotten to the clutch & electric hand.  Now that the engine is back running, I’m in the middle of redoing the whole brake system.  After that it’s on to a clutch & doing something with the electric hand.  If the car gods smile on me I’m hoping by summer to truly driver her for the 1st time!  
  • I want to thank Jon B for comment above. I do not want to damage the electric hand. I will continue to use same unless / until something breaks, then go to plan B not before.
  • BigSky
    I’m still looking for the electric hand parts 1) tranny top plate pin & 2) shifter which fits on the pin.   I would also like to find a standard tranny top & shifter in case I cannot get the electric hand operating.  PM me if you have one or know of one.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Note to Big Sky - Does Greg Maroney have what you need ? Look under 37 parts  and Whip on this forum. 
  • BigSky
    I had reached out to him & Stu Coleman but neither had the parts.  However, I certainly do appreciate the idea!
  • i just got a 38 112 suicide doors and it has a standard trans with it. Not to sure if it is what you are looking for but it is a top mounted shifter
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    jbakers1 said:
    i just got a 38 112 suicide doors and it has a standard trans with it. Not to sure if it is what you are looking for but it is a top mounted shifter

Your statement does not make sense.  You state "Suicide doors)".  If you mean front opening, then  it is not a 112, as the front opening doors were last used on the 1936 models. 
  • jbakers1
    jbakers1 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sorry Geoff, I'm new to the Group and New to the Hudsons, My 112 Has suicide Doors and is a 4 door. I just got it three days ago and am learning a lot since Then. I am Missing the Headlamp plates, i have the head lamps but not the Plates.