1937 Terraplane 8 cly

I need to find a set of knobs and dial for a radio. Just trying to fill the holes in the dash.  

Any suggestions ?

G S Patterson / Tulsa

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2020
    A delete plate would probably be easier and cheaper to find.  The actual radio heads with dial and knobs tend to be expensive.

• Check ebay regularly. It took me about 10 months of checking dayly before I came across a head and 2 knobs for a 1936 hudson complete with the radio box for about $75 and paid about $100 to have it delivered usa to Australia. There was a refurbished one for sale for $1000 which I monitored all the time as a backup should I not find one. All up check radio collector groups, ebay and take some time... It will appear. Best of luck cheers ken... Ps the dash on mine feels complete now I've got the radio head... Don't care it doesn't work 
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    If anyone wants a 1936 Radio I have one which I would swap  I would swap it for a 1937.
    The boxes are the same so just swapping the heads would work
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Trevor, in case you didn't know: the DB-37 (1937) and DB36 (1936) radios are interchangeable except for the number of turns that the tuning knobs must make, in order to sweep the full extent of the dial (or "ribbon" in the 1937 radio).

I myself have a 1936 radio in my 1937.  Years ago I had bought a working 1936 radio receiver (the part with the tuner, tubes, condenser, etc.), but the tuner within the 1936 receiver did not agree with the actual location of the stations on the 1937's dial belt. However,  I had a "junk" '37 radio for parts.  So I salvaged the worm gear from the '37 (located where the tuning knob's mechanical cable attaches to the receiver box).  And I transplanted this 1937 worm gear into the 1936 radio.  And the transplant worked fine, I'm happy to report.  
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    TERRAPLANES DID NOT HAVE 8 CYL'S IN THEM ONLY HUDSONS IN ALL CARS BUT 1933 TERRAPLANE 8 
  •  I have one. Made in Canada 1937. 

• Got me curious now; is this not a 37 Terraplane?
  • AnnaCarin
    AnnaCarin Member
    edited March 2020
    The hood louvres look like 1937 Hudson to me, Terraplane had a different design. (I compared with the photos in Butler's book, plus some photos I took of a 1937 Hudson eight last summer.)
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2020
    I think it's a Hudson.  The engine, front fender trim, hubcaps, hood louvers and beltline trim are all "Hudson". 

The nameplate beneath the hood ornament appears to be "Hudson" (here shown with the standard Hudson hood ornament):

The hood ornament on your car is a "commercial" ornament (used on Terraplane trucks and on all export H & T's as far as I know). 

The car's serial number would tell the tale: if first two digits are 70, 71, 72 or 78, it's a Terraplane.  However,  I can't recall whether they used the "first two digit" method of identifying the model, in Canada.

Regardless, its a nice car!
  • oops, my car must not a Terraplane: Serial # is  74C277

So, what is my Hudson ?

Thanks for you interest by the way.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Model 74 was the regular 8 cylinder Hudson.  Model 73 was the 6-cylinder Hudson.  Models 75, 76 and 77 were (I think) the long wheelbase Hudsons (8 cyl.) but someone more knowledgeable than I will jump in here to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Jon,
    I had to check what Butler says - the model 75 was the Custom Eight, also on the short wheelbase, you were spot on about the rest. Model 78 were Big Boys.